Why become a member? ×

Cab protection strips

fleabag

Anyone know where i can get some protection strips ? Sort of like aluminium angle , say 25 x25 mm x 2 or 3mm and however long, but in plastic.  Ally is too expensive

I did the usual, check Blue Aran and various, but they only seem to supply corner protection, and i'm after angle strips for the edges between the corners.

B&Q , Wickes, Screwfix - been to all of them, and its either ally, or white plastic.  White is no good, terrible colour for external protection, but black isn't available

Wood seems too expensive too. Not sure what the answer is, but shirley someone may have found something that'll do the job

Any ideas peeps ?

...mind you, the Wickes oak 20mm angle moulding would be cheaper, and you could tuffcab it! They also have ally moulding (18x18 though) listed at £11 odd. Would look smart with the silver sprayed grill....

Found black plastic on eBay cheaper than the first link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-PLASTIC-PVC-CORNER-90-DEGREE-ANGLE-TRIM-ALL-SIZES-10-15-20-25-30-40-50mm-/232030527177?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

...but a tenner postage. This seller  is doing it in 1m lengths and only charging £3.99 postage (plus 10p per additional length)

8 hours ago, RichardH said:

How about this

http://www.buyplasticsonline.co.uk/index.php/pvc-profiles - available in black too

I searched for "plastic angle extrusion" and came up with Plastics Direct.... doubt you need 3m of it though!

You could contact a local UPVC windows place and ask if they have anything similar - offcuts even!

I looked at your link, and yup, too expensive. I need approx 4800mm   ( the  8 corner protectors take up some of the millimetres )

8 hours ago, RichardH said:

...mind you, the Wickes oak 20mm angle moulding would be cheaper, and you could tuffcab it! They also have ally moulding (18x18 though) listed at £11 odd. Would look smart with the silver sprayed grill....

Found black plastic on eBay cheaper than the first link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-PLASTIC-PVC-CORNER-90-DEGREE-ANGLE-TRIM-ALL-SIZES-10-15-20-25-30-40-50mm-/232030527177?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

...but a tenner postage. This seller  is doing it in 1m lengths and only charging £3.99 postage (plus 10p per additional length)

Wickes Oak would be pricey at over £30 + del.

The black plastic angle is probably the cheapest of the lot, but the cheeky oik's postage price is £10 for something that weighs the same as my bedroom slippers. This is a sort of scam where they're avoiding ebay fees by selling the item cheap, but ramping up the postage. Still, if it works out cheaper ...

7 hours ago, RichardH said:

That looks just the ticket!!!! - they do matching corners too (I know you were going nick them from the old cab, but for 99p for 4 corners, it would be rude not to.....

Too late on that Richard - bought 8 large corners on Ebay - £3.99 delivered - but ta :)   They're bigger though, than the Maplins ones, but exactly the same style

Edited by fleabag

Oh goddammit.

Maplin says no delivery on those strips, so find nearest store - which is Oxford ( close, about 12 miles ) and they dont have any. 

Nearest next store with stock is Mansfield , Notts.  and they only have 1 strip !  :)

Jeeez, people must be smoking 'em, eating 'em ,  making sheds,  etc

Edited by fleabag

Now that i know what to google ( extrusion, thanks guys ) i found these on ebay.  20x20 x 1000mm

Now my maths is howibbly howibbly bad ...so can someone work out how many lengths i need to order ?   I  can get more than edge 1 out of each 1000mm strip ?  Would 

Measurements  545mm x 4 strips / 460mm x 4 strips / 395mm x 4 strips  ( that should be all 12 edges : )

And to add to the maths confusion - i found the same sellers with 2500mm strips, but they ramp the postage up.  £10 for 2500mm.

So now not sure whether to buy less strips of the longer stuff ( 2500mm ) or mores strips of the shorter stuff ( 1000mm )

And there's also the postage difference

Check last post - the stuff in blue , 2500mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PVC-CORNER-90-DEGREE-20X20-mm-ANGLE-TRIM-1-METER-Gold-and-Silver/282218801567?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D48421%26meid%3Dd1d7d88780024d0baca9ee8e5978e0b6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D232030527177%26itm%3D282218801567&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by fleabag

Crikey Fleab, if you're like that over some plastic strips, what are you like with your Christmas shopping list?

Ignore my attempts to extract the piddle.  I'm glad to see you making efforts with the smaller things.  It's so easy to add up a whole lot of seemingly insignificant costs and find you've spent too much.  It looks like you enjoy the challenge of searching through pages of search engine results about as much as I do though.

I bet it's all the more frustrating now that you can almost see a finished product.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I guess i just dont like waste.  In the end, what i  ordered from Jabbs link is about the best for price and wastage. So, happy days !

Things left to do -  sand the areas where screw heads are sunken and filled with PVA and sawdust, and then re- Tuff cab,  ( 4 panels to do where the baffle sits )

Fit corner and edge strip protection, cut and screw and seal grill battens,  cut grill to size and spray paint, fit driver, make grill badge

Still a bit to do  :)

It's the home straight now.

You have more patience with web searches than I have.  After I've sorted the irrelevant ads, other search engines and chancer websites from the list of so-called results in the search window I opened, I've almost lost the will to carry on.

Jez's response is good example of the good natured sharing of information by those who have already been there.  As proven, this is a great place to ask for guidance.

Edited by SpondonBassed