Why become a member? ×

What are your bass care tips?

basselfman

I do oil rosewood fretboards with "Boiled Linseed Oil".

Lemon Oil for fretboards might me ok, but I once tried to use it to oil and oil-finish body. The whole bottle disappeared and the body looked no different to the bare wood. So I stick with Linseed.

16 minutes ago, Trueno said:

When the strings need changing it's time to sell it and buy another one.

I guess this is the solution for some folk, when you're looking at the bass and thinking, "I bought it for £70 and the strings cost £30 to replace. Plus £30 setup..."

4 hours ago, Coilte said:

...along with some silica gel sachets.

Those sachets are excellent. Normally you'd just chuck them out, but you need to leave at least one or two in your case. They'll absorb any residue moisture from the strings, and generally keep the atmosphere in the case reasonable for the bass (or guitar).

I also keep a bar towel in my case, handy for wiping any excess sweat or anything off the bass (or guitar), and also stops the bass moving around in the case (if it's an after market case).

Edited by Skybone

4 hours ago, basselfman said:

I should probs stop taking mine into the bath with me..

does anyone here do fretbored care like lemon oil? Or is it all just a con

I use lemon oil on my rosewood boards if I think that they're looking a bit dry ,maybe once a year.

I also clean and polish my natural finished guitars and basses with Dunlop 65 if they're looking a bit grubby. For the solid colour finishes I just use a damp cloth.

Edited by Cato

Lemon oil on the rosewood board. Don't leave it in the car overnight. Always transport it in at least a gig bag. Put it on a stand.  All the dings my Stingray has are due to me not doing the latter in the first couple of years I had it. There is some blackening to the pole pieces on the pickup on my Stingray, which I assume is oxidation of something other than Iron.

I bought a litre of proper lemon oil from an olde fashioned DIY store 25 years ago and there's still loads left.

I absolutely detest scratches and dings, dongs or marks of any description and don't understand how some basses get in such a mess. Nitro finishes will age naturally but poly finishes are really hard wearing and I imagine it would take a lot to damage the finish.

My bass is the last thing to get taken out of it's bag once everything else is set up and the first thing to go away.

Once a year during a string change I take off all 4 at once instead of one at a time and treat the fretboard with the lemon oil, leave it for a minute then wipe off the excess with a clean cloth.

I then clean the bass with car polish - I've been using the same bottle of dark blue Colour Magic since the mid 90s on all of my dark basses.

This is the same time that I change the battery whether it needs to be change or not so I can concentrate on playing and not worrying about the battery going half way through a song.

That's it - plus no one gets to touch it, let alone play it.

It's coming up for 2 years old and still looks brand new

Edited by Delberthot

20 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

I then clean the bass with car polish - I've been using the same bottle of dark blue Colour Magic since the mid 90s on all of my dark basses.

Don't know what car polish @Delberthot is using, but don't ever use a silicone polish. Beware of car polish and certainly NEVER use spray silicone furniture polish, like "Mr Sheen" or "Pledge". The furniture industry curses spray polish as it wrecks the finish and makes it sticky and prone to attract dirt.

Silicone is almost impossible to remove from the surface and will make it impossible to re-spray if you, or a future owner, ever needs to re-finish the bass.

If you wish to clean a lacquered bass, simply wipe it over with a soft, damp cloth with a little detergent soap, and buff it up with an old towel. If there are sticky marks from stickers, use a little white-spirit to get that off.

I use Dunlop 65 on my poly finished basses, and WD40 on the fingerboards when I change strings (graphite necks) which makes them come up all nice and shiny. My other bass has a natural Tung Oil finish and apparently a wipe with a damp cloth is all that's needed, though I'm open to any suggestions as to a 'one shot' product I can use.