Why become a member? ×

Combo with removable head?

Linus27

I'm looking to buy a backup head to my Markbass Little Mark III, probably a Nano. It now appears that I might also need a combo for some acoustic gigs. Plus I would like one to have at home as a practise amp. I was thinking a Micromark as I've had one before and it was perfect as a practise amp and for acoustic gigs. Rather than buy a backup amp head and a combo, are there any decent combos that have a removable head that I can kill two birds with one stone?

1 hour ago, JazzBass4624 said:

Why do you specifically need a combo for an acoustic gig?

I play (a.o.) in an acoustic trio and just use my LMIII and one 112cab. I would think this set is about the size of a combo and just as light.

It would save you buying a dedicated combo.

This is what I may do in the end but I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. I need to buy a back up head to my little mark 3, probably a Nano at about £350. I really want to get a practise combo for home use as I am gigging every weekend and dont want to keep setting up my little mark and ny112 and then pack it away again every week or every other day. If I could get a combo that could work as a practise amp, is good enough for acoustic gigs and has a removable head then its a winner but it may not just be possible. I may just need to buy the Nano for back up and a combo for practise and acoustic gigs and be done with it.

21 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I'm looking to buy a backup head to my Markbass Little Mark III, probably a Nano. It now appears that I might also need a combo for some acoustic gigs. Plus I would like one to have at home as a practise amp. I was thinking a Micromark as I've had one before and it was perfect as a practise amp and for acoustic gigs. Rather than buy a backup amp head and a combo, are there any decent combos that have a removable head that I can kill two birds with one stone?

Acoustic Image (over here in US) makes expensive bass amps, some of which feature removable heads. I can't pull up their home page; you may have better luck. 

This is the reason I sold both my combos.  (Markbass CMD121P and AER amp two)  It's not easy to carry a back-up amp if you use a combo at a gig.  I now have only cabs and heads.

I take one or two cabs to gigs but always two heads.

My combo replacement is a Barefaced one10 and GK MB200.

This doesn't solve linus27's problem but it is portable, lightweight, reasonably priced and very capable for gigging, especially an acoustic gig.

Frank.

Ampeg PF series are great, currently running a pf800 head and pf15he fliptop cab

The old SVT III (non pro) came with the option of being slid into a combo (think it was an isobaric style 2x12) - maybe SVR or something like that...

Ashdown MiBass also had a mount option in 1x10 and 1x12 cab combos. Had the 10 and it was great.

Ibanez Promethean - played one of those a couple of times. Sounded brilliant.

Mesa Scout/Walkabout (had the 15 radiator cab for a couple of years. Awesome piece of kit!!!)

I'm in the set of people who can't quite see the benefit in a 'combo with a removable head' compared to simply treating head and cabinet as separate items. Mind you, that probably explains why there don't seem to be a lot of option. I imagine portability might be one but, as a Markbass Nano owner, you can fit the head in a bag so you don't need one hand for the bass, one for the cabinet and one for the head. That said, I also have a small combo amp which I end up using a fair amount. However, it is a Roland KC-150 keyboard amp which earns its place by having multiple inputs so that I can potentially run other instruments through it at the same time (rarely used but handy once in a while).

I don't regret having the combo amp although, if I'd got the Markbass Nano first, I would probably have considered a small speaker which could handle it or my other head (old Ashdown model) along with a small mixer. Portability would still have been pretty easy and that would allow a range of combinations from small amp and unobtrusive looking speaker for the kind of gig where you want to convey the 'acoustic' vibe up to the option of using both cabs at once for lower combined resistance (getting more out of the head) and maximum air movement.

Wulf

Just now, wulf said:

I'm in the set of people who can't quite see the benefit in a 'combo with a removable head' compared to simply treating head and cabinet as separate items.

Wulf

Ibanez Promethean. Tiny combo, big sound (within the laws of physics), mp3 in, headphone out.. does the lot.

And then, when you need another 450w head to use with your big boxes for whatever reason, just undo the four bolts and off you go.

16 minutes ago, wulf said:

But, as far as I can see, Ibanez have given up on the detachable aspect of that range. Sounds like you are a fan of the design so I'm assuming it works well in practice but I guess it didn't provide enough extra sales for Ibanez to want to throw in the small amount of extra hardware and assembly costs.

Wulf

Absolutely, but I was referring to the original spec, as per your comment.

Why they canxed that design is a complete mystery to me - the sequel didn't really set the world alight.