Why become a member? ×

I played a Mex Fender Deluxe Precision special............and I liked it.

gjones

I have a bit of cash coming my way so I decided I'd treat myself to one of the new Fender Elite P/J Precisions. I've never owned a US Fender, before just MIJ (which of course are very good but aren't American - ie the 'Real Thing').

So I went to my local guitar shop and asked to try one of the Elites. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock at the Edinburgh branch. So I asked if they had any other P/J Fenders. The sales guy said he'd have a look and after about 5 mins came back with a bass guitar shaped cardboard box. He cut it open and inside was a brand new, sunburst, Mexican Fender Deluxe Precision Special. 

I gave it a play, not expecting much, but was seriously surprised at how much I loved it! The action on it was really low ( I wasn't expecting it to be so well set up right out of the box), and combined with the slim Jazz neck, made it incredibly easy to play. The sound of the thing was amazing. the pickups, both soloed and combined, sounded really punchy in passive mode and in active mode they sounded even better.

The bass looked really well put together and I couldn't find any flaws whatsoever.

I was so impressed with this bass that I now have to ask myself, why would I fork out another £1,000 for the American version, when the Mexican, active P/J, sounds and plays so fantastic?

Does anybody have one of these basses and do they love them as much as I do?

• Like 2

....well...actually,

...I know that it's not the same thing, but it kind of is. I have an old MIM Fender deluxe PJ from 1996, and despite being constantly told that it can't be good because it's a MIM, it really is a great bass in every way.

If that bass is doing it for you then then why buy an expensive imitation? 

• Like 3

I've got a 2016 Deluxe Special in white/rosewood.

I love it to bits, it's pretty much all I play these days.

I've not tried the US Elite, I'm guessing it has upgraded pickups and preamp, but other than that I have trouble thinking what improvements they could make for it to be £1000 better.

I've got the MIM Deluxe PJ and two Mexi Telecasters,  all three of them are superb instruments.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I've still got my US Jazz, but I wouldn't buy another US bass... I think they've got a bit silly pricey, despite the obvious quality (obvious in mine, at least). I would absolutely consider buying a MIM... and I think PJs are the future.

PS... Karfler... love your crap mex.

Edited by Trueno
PS
  • Like 3

I don't own a Mex P Special, but I have played one, and it was rather nice, if my memory serves me.
I do own a P/J'ed Roadworn Precision - the Roadworn basses are MIM and I don't care where they're made.... they are fabulous! :)
Having owned several US Fenders and 2x MIM Roadworns, I can say the RW's are as good as, and sometimes better than their US counterparts
So I wouldn't be concerned about whether it's MIM or US

The main thing to consider is - do you like the bass? Does it sound good, and is it comfortable to play?
Aside from that, the "made in" badge / sticker is irrelevant...

I've played some not-so-good MIM's but I've also played some good ones and some great ones - Same thing re US made versions
If you like it, give it another whirl. But play something else just before you buy too - if there's anything similar in the shop, give that a try too
If you like the bass go for it, and have a great NBD :)

EDIT: I'm a big fan of the P/J pickup arrangement too - it does everything I want, and is really flexible and simple / quick to change

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Not necessarily just a Mexican issue, the Made in Japan ones are also heavy.

I have played heavy MIM's - and light ones too (the RW I mentioned earlier is the lightest full scale P I've played)
My MIJ Jazz is quite light- certainly lighter than either of the US Jazzes I owned (and marginally lighter than the RW Jazz I once owned)

4 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I have played heavy MIM's - and light ones too (the RW I mentioned earlier is the lightest full scale P I've played)
My MIJ Jazz is quite light- certainly lighter than either of the US Jazzes I owned (and marginally lighter than the RW Jazz I once owned)

I meant the Steve Harris P specifically.