Why become a member? ×

Nut cut too low

hooky_lowdown

First, make sure the neck relief is where you want it before doing anything, as a little more relief in the neck will raise the action at the nut.

If there's nothing to be gained by adjusting the Truss rod, there's a few well known bodges for filling and re-cutting nut slots (just search youtube), but the only real clean fix is to replace the nut.

I will say if you need to raise it by 1mm, it must be cut very very low....

i have shimmed a nut before with a bit of business card, just cut to size put under the nut and restring. it was only by a small amount and on a cheapo bitsa but i havent noticed any issues with it slipping.  

theres probably better ways to do it but it worked for me!

Edited by Andytre

If the bass is set up as you want it and nut is defo low, you can put a drop of superglue in the slot and build the slot back up (though you may then need to file back down to suit BUT ensure it is solid dry before doing anything.  If it is a good/expensive bass or one you rely on as your gigging tool, I'd be looking at a new nut.

Thanks. Yes, the nut arrived cut too low. It’s a cheap bass, I haven’t set it up yet but it plays, sounds and feels great - otherwise I would have sent it back. The action is a little high already as I like to have my action as low as possible, there’s buzz on second fret on E and 12th on A. D and G are fine.

Gently tip a small amount of baking soda into the E and A slots until you have about as much lift as you need. Then pour in a couple of drops of superglue and let it solidify.

A surprisingly effective fix. Doesn't sound like it should work, but my chemist friend tells me that they combine to form a sort of basic cement.

• Like 2

On 16 February 2018 at 11:54, Andytre said:

i have shimmed a nut before with a bit of business card, just cut to size put under the nut and restring. it was only by a small amount and on a cheapo bitsa but i havent noticed any issues with it slipping.  

theres probably better ways to do it but it worked for me!

This. Simple and quick to do then sort the nut grooves.

On 2/16/2018 at 11:34, hooky_lowdown said:

Just got a new bass, but the nut has been cut too low for my liking,  is there anything I can do to increase the height of the strings by 1mm on the nut? 

Wow - that must be cut seriously low. Typical clearance over the 1st fret is 0.5 - 0.6mm, so adding 1mm would surely make it really stiff to play on the lowest frets?

I set it up yesterday to the low action I like and found no buzzing on open strings, but found on both E and A strings there is buzz across 2nd and 12th frets for both. Guess these two frets are a bit low.

Tried the superglue and baking soda thing this morning. Used a toothpick to apply glue to nut - works a treat. Raised E and A strings a fraction. No buzz now.