Why become a member? ×

On stage gimics

Dom in Dorset

I play in an occasional glam punk band (songs are moronically simple but fun, lots of make up, glitter , tiger skin print etc) We first formed 25 years ago and back in the day it wasn't uncommon for our singer to wear a bra and pants (he's a he) .Our stage gear has got more outrageous over the years as five guys try to compete with each other for the limelight. These days we play a couple of times a year for fun , usually as a charity fund raiser. As we don't do it that often we tend to pull out all the stops and in part due to our singers c list celebrity status we can fill a small venue and it's always a wild night.
Our guitarist (a gothic transvestite)  is planning on coming on stage with a running chainsaw....(thankfully he's removed the chain)
Best / worst things you or your band mates have done on stage.....

Edited by Dom in Somerset

At the end of the first section of Take Me Out (Franz Ferdinand song, not TV show), the guitarist and I used to have a mock fight where we would try and prod each other with our headstocks. As bass player I had the longer reach, and invariably 'won'. For one particularly leery gig (which Mrs Axe described as like playing in a creche, on account of all the blatant under-age drinking), I threaded a piece of wire wrapped in tissue paper between my tuners, and when the moment of combat came, I whipped out a lighter and set fire to it. The effect was dramatic, if short-lived. Thinking about it, I could have burned the pub down, caused death and/or serious injury, or worst of all, got us banned from the venue!

20 minutes ago, casapete said:

Pictures or it didn't happen? xD

Fortunately I don't have any!

But here's one early on at a gig. With his assless chaps and an elephant pouch...

168006_492692966361_7102311_n.jpg.73451cd58125500bdd1c8b2f19d510e0.jpg

It may appear as though he has shorts on under the chaps. But those were assless too.... and crotchless...

Edited by bartelby
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bartelby said:

For a while it was a rare gig the vocalist didn't get naked and run around the venue.

Back in the day our singer would do the same , thankfully the day was long before cameras in phones. There was also the black patent leather catsuit complete with foil wrapped cucumber down the inside leg.

21 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I saw Aswad have an argument on stage once - "do you think I would do such a thing..?" only for it to go into "54 42  was my number" - a cover of the Toots & The Maytels classic.

Looked like a genuine argument at one stage....

Reckon someone had pinched four numbers from the title and wasn't owning up! ;)

7 hours ago, bartelby said:

Fortunately I don't have any!

But here's one early on at a gig. With his assless chaps and an elephant pouch...

168006_492692966361_7102311_n.jpg.73451cd58125500bdd1c8b2f19d510e0.jpg

It may appear as though he has shorts on under the chaps. But those were assless too.... and crotchless...

The first band advert I ever replied to was a guy who explained he liked to wear arseless chaps on stage.

He was a complete lunatic, also telling me how he liked to black up minstrel style. I never went back!

Luckily he didn't put me off, the next guys I met were a bit more normal.

6 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I used to wear a wedding dress... And the Bromley Boys would turn up dressed like Monty Python women.

Scan12218.JPG

That's exceptionally brave for Bromley, fair play. I went to school there, those Bromley boys were not the warmest and most welcoming group of humans. (Unless you enjoy the odd beating and the occasional broken bottle inserted into your face from time to time).

Not so much in the apparel sense, but many years ago we used to cart all manner of junk around with us. One fan used to work in an abattoir, and made for an especially memorable evening when he brought some work home for us one night. I'll leave you to imagine a Dansette record player perched on top of a toilet bowl with a few pounds of offal rotating at 33rpm...

Edited by Norris

20 hours ago, project_c said:

Bromley boys were not the warmest and most welcoming group of humans.

I'll never forget a gig we did at the Jericho Tavern in Oxford in 1990ish...

We'd nipped out for a bite to eat before the gig and were just walking back to the venue. There was a chap running as fast as he could with a Bromley Boy in hot pursuit...

BB was, of course, wearing housecoat, wig and headscarf, but was also brandishing an iron bar and shouting "We're from fa%*in' Laahnden mate"