Why become a member? ×

Playing bass for around 3 months

Jlawren3

Hi everyone, 

Bass lover from UK here. I recently bought a Washburn bass as a beginner model however it arrived with one of the pickups damaged and now (after regular use) has a faulty jack socket. 

Spoke to shop and they quoted repairs around £30. However, just sent it back under warrantee and Amazon is sending me a whole new one! 

Few questions I s’pose:

1) is this a common problem?

2) just been steadily working through some scale books (got to major 6ths and double octaves). Could you recommend a practice routine? Trying to split 2 hrs into 1/2 hr slots. 

3) My teacher has put me in roughly at grade 3/4 rock school standard. Is there any bass literature or YouTube channels which I need to follow or check out? I’m super into odd time signatures, jazz n funk grooves. Michael Pipoquinha and Michael League are cool.

Tschüss

• Like 1

I have been playing about 18 months now, started gigging 15 months ago. The key to improvement for me was playing in a band. Nothing else I have done has come close to the help that has been. It’s a driving force that gives you a reason to practice, material to practice, great experience during rehearsals and a time frame to work to. I practice 40-60 minutes every day except rehearsal day (usually do at least two hours that day). I break it up into a ten minute warm up of noodling, bits and pieces or maybe an easy song, then 20-30 minutes on new songs or a technique I want to practice and finally 20 or so minutes on songs I know to keep them in my head. In the few days before a gig I will just practice half the set each night, a complete run through start to finish. Everyone is different obviously but this has worked well for me.

• Like 2

Decent! Thanks everyone for your comments. 

I'm super new to bass guitar but if you can recommend recordings or people to listen to and check out that would be super awesome. 

Any threads which people can recommend or other websites? 

Just started drums as well and found Drumeo. Is there a bass equivalent? 

Hello. Check out 'Scotts Bass Lessons' on Youtube. He has a paid for academy, but there are plenty of free lessons also from complete beginner to quite advanced.

When I started, I had a year on my own working out my favorite songs on bass, then started lessons after that. On one hand I picked up bad habits, but on the other, working out stuff by ear early on can help you loads later on imo. Depends if you're concerned about having 'correct' technique or not I guess.

I personally watched loads of Steve Harris, Lemmy John Deacon footage at the age of 13 onwards, followed by Cliff Burton later,  which helped me get into bass big time, so I would definitely recommend watching and learning from your bass heroes and getting inspired that way. 

Good luck!! Keep us posted. 

• 8 months later...
On 16/02/2018 at 22:11, Jlawren3 said:

Decent! Thanks everyone for your comments. 

I'm super new to bass guitar but if you can recommend recordings or people to listen to and check out that would be super awesome. 

Any threads which people can recommend or other websites? 

Just started drums as well and found Drumeo. Is there a bass equivalent? 

If you are still looking for free online bass tuition then check out my YouTube channel. It’s still relatively new but I am adding new videos every week & building it up. Hope it’s helpful & get in touch if you need help. Greg 

https://youtu.be/JjU08-m86SE

36FE583E-FA2B-478C-9FA8-5D69CE108A75.thumb.png.5e358eef9bce71f7d2d94a4447f4d253.png

Welcome! 

As said, lots of good stuff on 'tinternet, but imho a good teacher - a real person who will know what you want to do and  how you're getting on and will give you specific personal motivation - makes all the difference. 

Grade 3/4 after 3 months sounds a bit ambitious to me - I've been playing for about 3 years and I'm planning on RGT Grade 3 next spring. But trust your teacher! Sounds like you have better aptitude and / or practice habits and / or relevant background than I do 🙂 

But also as @T-Bay said nothing is as good as playing with other people. That's what bass is for. And "less is more" - as soon as you can play one root note per bar you're a useful member of a band, and you'll grow from there. 

Hope it goes well, let us know 🙂 

• Like 1