Why become a member? ×

DR Dragon Skin coated strings: anybody tried them?

mcnach

They are stainless steel coated strings and they intrigue me, but I can't figure out how they differ from other strings I may be more familiar with like DR Fat beams or even Black Beauties coated ones, or nickel D'Addario EXL ones, or various other stainless steel ones (D'Addario, Fender, Warwick...)

Has anybody here used them and can please write a bit about what they thought? :) 

9 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Bass Wizard recommends....

Yeah I've seen a few videos... none sound terrible... or fantastic... and it doesn't tell me much without comparing to other type of string, really. That's what I'm hoping to hear some first hand experiences :)

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I guessed you would have seen a few videos, but IMHO, this guy knows his gear and he recommended them compared to Fat Beams which I thought you may have tried.

Seems like job done though if you don't like FB's.

Strings! Such a personal thing. I hate wasting money on ones it turns out I don't like.

No, I *love* Fat Beams. It's Hi Beams he's comparing them to.

Fat beams is my regular string. In mid January I restrung one of my Precisions with what I thought were Fat Beams and I was not happy with the result... I started wondering why it sounded so different from what I remembered, even accounting for the extra brightness of new strings, it was not right... then I saw the package: I had bought Hi Beams by mistake :dash1:

It's an expensive trip, trying strings... but when you find some cool ones it can make it all worth it :)