Why become a member? ×

EMG or Seymour Duncan pickup for P bass?

sblueplanet

I just picked up a 32” medium scale P bass and want to beef up the sound. Hoping that a replacement pup is straightforward and will fit ok, I am unsure which sort of pickup to go for. The Geezer Butler passive one with solderless connections is tempting but so is the SD SPB-1 or 3 with the fatter pole pieces.

Any fellow Basschatters using any of these and feel like leaving an opinion on tone, value etc.

I use a P with the SPD-3.  At first I didn't like the 'aggressive' tone for want of a better word.  However I discovered that if I roll the tone off around 1/3 then it really works for me.  I play in a classic rock covers band.  Hope that helps.

Edited by ead

I've had a regular EMG P bass pickup and it was pretty good, I've had the QPs as well..

but my favourite is the Aguilar 60s model. Seems fuller and more balanced than the others. The EMG had more highs, and the QP had more bass and less mids - but did sound a bit muddy to me, and took it too far away from sounding like a precision.

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The EMG had more highs, and the QP had more bass and less mids - but did sound a bit muddy to me, and took it too far away from sounding like a precision.

I've heard this quite a lot about the QP - if you're after the opposite, I reckon the SPB-2 may also be worth a punt. Brighter and more middy - the honk is strong in that one.

5 hours ago, ead said:

I use a P with the SPD-3.  At first I didn't like the 'aggressive' tone for want of a better word.  However I discovered that if I rill the tone off around 1/3 then it really works for me.  I play in a classic rock covers band.  Hope that helps.

This. Those quarter pounders have a really weighty tone, they're aggressive but with the tone rolled back by a third the weight is all in the lows and low mids. I love them, I have them in 2 precisions, about to put the pj set in a third. My drummer also loves them.

As part of your research please consider adding the DiMarzio Split P Pup to your list. It's very powerful with a huge range of tones. When coupled with a KiOgon loom and a suitably selcted tone cap ( John at KiOgon can help with the best value) you can tailor your bass sound to your needs.

I guess I don’t want to limit the tone too much as I play a bit of funk with my fingers, some thumb-style playing like Sting would do, using flatwounds, but also like to get that punk tone using a plectrum in the studio.

i do have a few basses but I have seriously cut right down to one short-scale PJ configuration, the medium scale precision and a Kala U bass.

I have and use both the EMG-GZR pair and a Duncan/Basslines SPB-3. 

One detail to consider is that the EMG "Quik Connect" solderless pots and interconnection cables occupy more of the control cavity than conventional controls. A plus point is that it would take a matter of minutes to add active Treble 'n' Bass EQ.

On 17/02/2018 at 08:39, JohnDaBass said:

DiMarzio 

DP164 Will Power Middle http://www.dimarzio.com/node/2133