Why become a member? ×

Tapes on a Jazz?

The59Sound

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Did you find that the strings reduced the output of the bass? 

Not significantly, there is probably a bit due to the Nylon tape, but nothing the amp can’t handle. It’s an active bass too, so I might not have noticed it as much compared to my passive basses.

Si

Just bought a set of D'addario Black tapes for my maple necked Sandberg Umbo and I really like them so far.

I've previously owned LaBella white tapes, Fender Black tapes and Status tapes. The Status were way too floppy for my tastes and the Fender were also too bendy as well as having some sort of QC issue where the E string looked to be made  from a different material. The Labellas I initially liked but began to lose attack after a while. I wasn't fussed on the feel of the LaBellas either, they were the heavier set and felt too "thick" and dull to me.

The D'addarios have a medium light tension (nowhere near as floppy as TI flats for instance) and have a nice snap to the attack and a nice mellow tone. At the moment they have good sustain but I could live with shorter sustain with the same snap as the strings get older. I have no idea whether that's realistic😁

57 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

Just bought a set of D'addario Black tapes for my maple necked Sandberg Umbo and I really like them so far.

I've previously owned LaBella white tapes, Fender Black tapes and Status tapes. The Status were way too floppy for my tastes and the Fender were also too bendy as well as having some sort of QC issue where the E string looked to be made  from a different material. The Labellas I initially liked but began to lose attack after a while. I wasn't fussed on the feel of the LaBellas either, they were the heavier set and felt too "thick" and dull to me.

The D'addarios have a medium light tension (nowhere near as floppy as TI flats for instance) and have a nice snap to the attack and a nice mellow tone. At the moment they have good sustain but I could live with shorter sustain with the same snap as the strings get older. I have no idea whether that's realistic😁

Did your fender tapes have like a shiny finish to them  I’ve just bought some but haven’t fitted them yet.    only my D’addario ones have a  smooth Matt finish 

3 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

They’ll retain the snap forever, but they’ll lose that ‘slightly roundwound’ textured tone and sustain over time, and become darker sounding and also more slippery and shiny. But they do retain most of their personality for years, you might never need to change them. It’s weird going back to rounds once you get used to them, they sound clunky and rattley in comparison. I still like rounds though, but it takes a minute to readjust to the finger noise and clunk.

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Did your fender tapes have like a shiny finish to them  I’ve just bought some but haven’t fitted them yet.    only my D’addario ones have a  smooth Matt finish 

3 of them did! The E string as I remember was a strange matt finish.

1 hour ago, project_c said:

They’ll retain the snap forever, but they’ll lose that ‘slightly roundwound’ textured tone and sustain over time, and become darker sounding and also more slippery and shiny. But they do retain most of their personality for years, you might never need to change them. It’s weird going back to rounds once you get used to them, they sound clunky and rattley in comparison. I still like rounds though, but it takes a minute to readjust to the finger noise and clunk.

That sounds just perfect 🙂

• Thanks 1