Why become a member? ×

Anyone feeling flush?

paul_5

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

But its only inspired by Claypool. There's no claim of him ever owning it or even being in the same room, ever.

It's ugly.

No, I mean in general Les Claypool is associated with Carl Thompson basses, which makes people want them. I didn't get past the picture so didn't read the blurb.... Must have been because I sicked up in my mouth a little bit at the very sight of the thing!

• Like 1

I have heard of Carl being a bit of a law unto himself. Being charitable, one night say he is perhaps prone to being taken by some muse. Being honest, his working practices sometimes sound downright careless. This bass would be a fine example, a once-in-a-lifetime build for an adoring fan delivered without the frets as specified. I've read of other people who've specified certain things to Carl only to have him go another way on the build and when challenged, he replies that he knows best and the buyer had best just take his word that the instrument should be accepted as is. 

I don't mind his instruments but this one doesn't look as nice as the original rainbow bass. I wonder why it's for sale. 

Looks OK to me. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about! Don't worry about it, if you haven't bought into "Cart Thompson" basses you'll not understand.

Not my taste but I'd rather have this than many basses I've seen posted as favourites, ie pointy and sparkly. . .  and brown basses? Ugh!

Looks like one of the carved custom models that took about 5 years to build, that aren't made any more (due to Carl being in his late 70's) and due to Mr Thompson's quirky nature, may or may not have been close to what you ordered in the first place!

Strange, I know, but judging by the Talkbass threads, the guys who did order these basses seemed to be universally happy with their purchases in whatever form they were delivered.

Looks to me like a supreme level of skilled craftsmanship and incredible attention to detail was needed to create that instrument. Shame really then that to me it also looks bleedin orrible!

A bit like if you'd gotten Leonardo Davinci to paint you a picture of a Ann Widdecombe in a string bikini.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmmm... pretty shameless

Pitched at the collector/Primus nuts rather than musicians. Admittedly there is the rarity afforded by the fact Carl Thompson doesn't build much any more (so I read).

In practical terms, you wouldn't play it unless you were in a Primus tribute as in every other situation you'd look a Richard, it would be a financial liability and the wooden bridge would be troublesome.

A relic from the age when custom basses exploded and makers were trying to out-Alembic Alembic. It's all Stanley's fault.