Why become a member? ×

Wingnut

Bastav

4 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I suppose that's close to how a piccolo bass would sound or maybe a parlor guitar.

Yes - a piccolo bass is generally pitched one octave higher than a standard bass, same pitch as an electric guitar.  However, depending on the strings, pickups, etc, they have their own sound...definitely not electric guitar sounding.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like a tidy solution.

The drill stops look like they should work but have you tested them in this sort of application before?  I'd consider Torx key fasteners over Allen key fasteners for longevity.  They are flank driven instead of point driven and therefore less inclined to wear out the key that tightens and loosens them.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Well. I've skipped this thread as I actually thought was about wingnuts. I've been following the build over on TB though so glad it's here too (with more pics, I see!!)

Really love how this is shaping up. There are some excellent ideas and little touches that should make this look and feel amazing.

What have you decided electronics-wise? I have a Bartolini soapbox in mine with extended top end range which helps bring out the flavour. Look like you're going passive, too?

1 minute ago, Bastav said:

I've got a bartolini jazz bridge pickup and it will be passive. I've got an octave pedal (ehx multiplexer) that I'm hoping will pair up nicely, hopfully making it sound kind of synth-bassy :)

Sweet. I thought I'd use mine with an octave a lot but actually without it it sounds so much 'fatter' than I was expecting, it has a brilliant sound of it's own. But yes with an octave it sounds really really cool B|

3 hours ago, ped said:

Sweet. I thought I'd use mine with an octave a lot but actually without it it sounds so much 'fatter' than I was expecting, it has a brilliant sound of it's own. But yes with an octave it sounds really really cool B|

Nice, I'm really starting to look forward to playing this thing!

2 hours ago, Bastav said:

Nice, I'm really starting to look forward to playing this thing!

They’re addictive! I was expecting it to be a bit of a laugh but honestly it’s become my go to instrument, it’s just so ‘handy’!! You’ll have he added gratification of knowing you made it yourself, which I should imagine must feel great. 

There are a number of builders on this forum, @Bastav , who are my inspiration and act as my aspiration to improve certain aspects of my own building.  

To do carves like this without a single lump or bump evident is what I presently strive for.  I haven't got there yet and will look at these photos as a reminder of how close I'm getting - or, looking at them here, how far I am away. ;)  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There are a number of builders on this forum, @Bastav , who are my inspiration and act as my aspiration to improve certain aspects of my own building.  

To do carves like this without a single lump or bump evident is what I presently strive for.  I haven't got there yet and will look at these photos as a reminder of how close I'm getting - or, looking at them here, how far I am away. ;)  

Well said.  Seldom have I seen such meticulously finished edges.  I mean, anyone can sand a surface but how many can do so without spoiling their edges?

52 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Thanks I really appreciate it :) very true what you said about other builders in the forum, yourself for one, being an inspiration. 

I love the carving part of building, working with a shinto and a random orbital sander to bring the shape to life.

• Like 1