Why become a member? ×

Low tension strings? Whats the 'softest' feeling out there...

Greg.Bassman

Hi everyone.

I’ve heard that low tension strings promote a relaxed light touch. As a (very) light player myself, I require as little ‘fight’ from my strings as I can, so I’m keen to do some experimenting. What is some of the lower (if not the lowest) tension strings on the market right now to get my strings feeling soft like wool? lol

Thank you!

EDIT: Ideally nickel roundwounds (40-95) is what I’m looking for (just soft low tension feeling). Also, I’ve heard that core shape can be a big factor. What core shape should I be looking for?

Edited by Greg.Bassman

9 hours ago, fretmeister said:

La Bella Low Tension Flats are lovely.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've heard good things about La Bella. I'm only interested in roundwounds though I'm afraid.

9 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Or you could use some D'Addario 6 string sets, but use the lightest 4 strings

32, 45,65,80

That would be very light. I couldn't cope with that"!

I doubt that I could cope with that either lol, but certainly an interesting idea though!

Hi Greg, bear in mind that having to increase string height to avoid fret buzz can sometimes be the trade-off for lower tension strings - which would be counter-productive.  My low-tension experience is enhanced by the fact that I play short-scale basses, so I can't really recommend a specific standard scale-length string.

• 5 months later...
Guest ixlramp

Gauge is the primary determiner of both scientific tension (a pull force in lbs) and 'perceived tension' so restricting yourself to 40-95 is self-defeating.

String construction, however flexible, can only get you so far in reducing 'perceived tension'. It makes more sense to just use a string line you already use and like in smaller gauges, and keep moving to the next lighter set until you find what's right for you. If a string line doesn't go particularly light (such as 30-90) then build a set from singles since a 30 is likely to be available for 6 string sets.

Also i must add that 40-95 is not at all low tension, to me that's high tension. Try 35-95 and 30-90. I like 25-80.

Recommendations for string brands and string lines, without mentioning gauges, are missing the most important aspect.

The silly but true answer to this topic is this .009 to .028 set https://store.kaliummusic.com/index.php/electric-bass-guitar/shop-by-material/hybrid-bass-guitar/balanced-tension/bh-028-4bs.html

Edited by ixlramp