Why become a member? ×

Plankspankers, a word to the wise

Barking Spiders

The thread on sparse bass lines and specific references  to Walking On The Moon got me thinking for a few seconds about why the minimalist flanged guitar in that song is also so effective, while 40 minute blues rock w*nkathons or interminable 'neo-classical' metal widdling have me running screaming for the door. So if there's a Malmsteen wannabe in your band what songs would you suggest they listen to that show less is usually more. A couple that come to my mind are on Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and Blue Hotel and on I'm In Love With  A German Film Star by The Passions.

We've done Blue Hotel and had a couple of try's at Wicked Game. Guitarist in fairness nailed them both, soundwise and sparse playing. Hard to do vocally of you don't have his range naturally though. We bagged them both in the end.

Thankfully our lad appreciates that silence is a note and also we never hear a peep out him between numbers.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Les said:

We've done Blue Hotel and had a couple of try's at Wicked Game. Guitarist in fairness nailed them both, soundwise and sparse playing. Hard to do vocally of you don't have his range naturally though. We bagged them both in the end.

Thankfully our lad appreciates that silence is a note and also we never hear a peep out him between numbers.

But in fairness Les, his silence only started after the Mustang headstock/A&E incident O.o.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

if there's a Malmsteen wannabe in your band what songs would you suggest they listen to that show less is usually more

Tot a malmsteen wannabe, or any rock or metal player, the songs you name are a yawnfest and would rather gnaw their ears and digits off than play them. You may think that sort of music is the dogs' shiny bits but to many of us it's lift music's anal seepage.

People eh?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bolo said:

Tot a malmsteen wannabe, or any rock or metal player, the songs you name are a yawnfest and would rather gnaw their ears and digits off than play them. You may think that sort of music is the dogs' shiny bits but to many of us it's lift music's anal seepage.

People eh?

Anal Seepage is a band name in waiting. Any takers?

• Haha 1