Why become a member? Read more... ×
cakerack

My Trace has nearly killed me! So looking at a new setup - advice please!

So... I have to finally admit that my delicious 1980s Trace Elliot 4x10 GP12 combo is far too heavy for me!  So I have been considering getting separate head and cab so at least I can lift it in the car.  I have my head pretty much sorted but in terms of cabs, I have the chance of a Marshall MBC115 cab for 100 quid.  Anyone got any experience of these?  Decent price?  Its in my budget, but was wondering if I should also be pairing a 2x10 with it as well.  Or should I steer clear?  Comments?  Any help or advice much appreciated!

Cheers

Sean

Well if you are looking to go light the Marshall isn't helping that much at 32Kg.

Also it is a 4 Ohm Cab so mixing it with a 2 x10 would mean another 4 Ohm Cab and an amp head that would cope with a 2 Ohm load.

Try a modern class D combo, if you're not hung up on all tube, lots of good ones to choose from. (imo)

Pair of BFM Omni 10.5 cabs in the FS section for £210:

Won't get a better deal than that if you want lightweight, great sounding cabs.

• Like 1

I have a TE rig and love it but have just forked put for a couple of second hand barefaced cabs. They aren’t cheap but the difference is weight is crazy, the sound is stunning as well which is all important. I bought them as second kit for the gigs up twenty flights of stairs or parking a mile away but think they will end up being my go to kit, so much so that I am whipping the head out my combo to run them off (can’t lose that TE sound altogether). One barefaced compact cab should do you compared to the ones you suggest.

The MBC115 is a decent enough cab, but is fairly heavy, and is much more low-end focused than a TE 410 - when I used mine as a standalone you could feel the notes but not necessarily hear them that well in the mix, even with highs and mids upped considerably on my amp.

If you're happy with the sound from the Trace Elliot, why not use it? Whip the head out and get yourself a 2u/4u rack case for it to live in. This'll weigh about 15lbs - an easy 1 hand lift/carry.

The choice of lightweight cabs to match with the head is extensive - personally I'd look at Vanderkleys but you'll get as many recommendations as there are members here.

BTW if you're looking for something to try to kill you, get a puppy. Mine leaves her balls and toys everywhere trying to trip me up - if I don't contribute for a few days you'll know she got me...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  Some interesting stuff there - I had previously considered pulling the head out of the TE combo and racking it, but its an awesome amp and its a shame to knacker it - but I could still be tempted...

Also yeah I noticed the MBC115 was 32Kg - which is still 15Kg lighter than my Trace - but yes I agree its probably still going to be a struggle in the long term.

I'll take a look at the cabs you guys mentioned and see what fits my budget, but once again thanks for all your suggestions

Cheers

Sean

If you do decide to whip the head out and use it with a different cab, just watch out for the head width before ordering a 2u case. Those 4x10 combos had wider amps than the normal 19inch jobbies. Something like 23 inch iirc to match the width of a typical 4x10 setup.

• Like 1

You can dance around this as much as you want, but if weight is starting to bother you that won't go away.

2 new light weight cabs is the right way to go.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JimH
      1/6/2018 - Price reduced - Now £300 (+ shipping if applicable)
      14/6/2018 - Final Reduction - Now £250 (+ shipping if applicable)

When I bought this combo a few years ago, the black tolex covering had seen better days and the corner brightware was rusty. I therefore had it recovered with "new old stock" Trace Elliot green carpet and new chrome corners. This classic, mid-90's combo is now in very good cosmetic condition.
      All knobs, buttons and switches are present and correct with the exception of the 50Hz slider knob on the graphic - however this still functions and can be set with the end of a pen, etc. In my experience most players don't change the graphic much once set in any case.
      "The 715 combo is a 100 (extra loud Trace Elliot watts! This is a meaty combo and holds it's own well in small to medium-sized venues but can be turned right down and still sounds good as a home/practice/Studio unit too) watt unit using the classic GP7 pre-amp and AH100 power amp sections, delivering to an internal (original) 15" speaker, providing  a well-balanced sound catering for all styles of playing."
      User manual link (for the Series 6 range) can be found underneath the photos at the end of this post.
      Cash on collection (western suburbs of Norwich) would be preferred for this item as it's quite weighty and would need packaging, but I could look at pricing for delivery separately if absolutely necessary. 
      Please contact me by direct message on Basschat in the first instance.

SERIES6.pdf
    • By JaketheB
      Selling my Trace Elliot 4x10 (1048h) cabinet with tweeter. 
      Not sure how to date the cabinet. Serial number is T641 | 1297 | 194
      The cab carries many war scars as it has been extensively used throughout the years. 
      Casters have been installed. The carrying weight is not worth contemplating.
      Power handling of 300watts at 8ohms
      Original drivers.
      Would prefer collection but willing to drive if the fuel costs are covered.
      Located in North Wales – Shropshire/Cheshire boarder.
      £75

• By Johnebass
      This pedal is brand new and only used once, it is still in the original box with all of the original packing and carry case.
      The Transit™ B pedal is a professional grade pre-amp for the discerning bassist. Built-in tools for tone shaping like Pre-shape, 5 band semi-parametric EQ and dual band Compressor are easy to use and easy to tweak on the fly. Features like Drive with blend control and built-in bass enhancement add to the tonal options available. The back-lit control panel becomes the chromatic tuner for accurate tuning. Built-in Pre and Post XLR balanced output, dry output and headphone output give the user the ins and outs they need.
      Features
      Color coordinated backlit controls Passive/Active switch Pre-shape switch for the classic Trace Elliot EQ curve Drive control with blend knob, footswitchable 5 band semi-parametric EQ with defeat switch Dual band compressor with defeat switch Mute/Tune switch Built-in chromatic tuner Input Gain and Output Level controls Line level, instrument level and dry outputs Pre and Post balanced XLR outputs with Ground Lift Aux input Phones output Dimensions (pedal only): 312 mm W x 114 mm D x 58.4 mm H (12.3" W x 4.5" D x 2.3" H) Weight: 1.18 kg/2.6 lbs Buyer to collect or arrange collection from Bristol.

• By discreet
      *SOLD* Trace Combo 7215 GP7 300W 1993 *£125*
      A rarity this, it's the wide-bodied variant (with the bigger enclosure, air vents and single rear port) made in 1993 (pre-Gibson era) which means it's one of the very last Series 6 combos ever produced. It's rated at 300W (with extension cab) and 180 - 200W using the internal driver (the stock 15" Trace/Celestion job). The myth is that Trace watts are somehow louder than other watts - I can tell you that it's absolutely true, this combo is punishingly loud and you won't want for power or headroom in any situation. The power stage is seemingly bulletproof and the amount of pure slam on tap is more like a large all-valve amp than a solid-state combo. This 'compact solution' was made way before lightweight gear became the norm, and it is relatively chunky. But the fitted castors go a long way to offset its mass and the two side handles make it easy to lift into a vehicle. Just don't try to take it on a plane as a carry-on item. 
      It's in a very reasonable and clean condition given its twenty-five years of service. There are the usual bumps, dings and scuffs that you'd expect (see pics), but nothing major and certainly nothing structural. All knobs and controls are present and correct and everything works as it should. These were built to a high standard and made to last. In general it's thought that Trace gear has its own baked-in tone, and there is something in that, but I found persistence and patience with the graphic EQ can produce pretty much any tone you could want, from urgent rock to an almost B15-type Motown warmth - especially if you cut and not boost the EQ to preserve that circuit's headroom. Modern amps seem to be designed to sound good with all controls set flat, but some just don't seem to have the same sonic options that are available here. Very small adjustments to the graphic can make a big difference, and time spent with the Trace EQ is very well-spent. This combo may be getting on a bit, but it's still Pro gear and makes for a useful and very reliable gigging tool.
      Internally it's all very clean and bright with no obvious wear, burn evidence or any other anomaly. In fact it looks like it was put together yesterday. Way to go, Tony! It's proper kit. Obviously I won't be posting it - the combo is located in south east London close to the A205 South Circular. I'm sure I could get more for it on the Bay, but I thought I'd list it here first and see if there are any takers. I paid £150 and would like to get £125 for it. So if you want some early 90s non-Class D heft for very little money, get in!

NOW SOLD. I thank you!
    • By MarshallBTB
      So after one of my One10 cabs started farting at practise, and with a gig last night I had a quick search for something to get me by until I get the One10 sorted. Found a Trace Elliot 1210 combo and 1x15 cab for a bargain price near me, bought it and gigged it straight away. 
      Seriously impressed, wasn't sure how decent this gear was from mixed reviews online but it more than did the job last night ! Starting to think that there is something about heavier gear now...great haha.