Why become a member? ×

My Trace has nearly killed me! So looking at a new setup - advice please!

cakerack

So... I have to finally admit that my delicious 1980s Trace Elliot 4x10 GP12 combo is far too heavy for me!  So I have been considering getting separate head and cab so at least I can lift it in the car.  I have my head pretty much sorted but in terms of cabs, I have the chance of a Marshall MBC115 cab for 100 quid.  Anyone got any experience of these?  Decent price?  Its in my budget, but was wondering if I should also be pairing a 2x10 with it as well.  Or should I steer clear?  Comments?  Any help or advice much appreciated!

Cheers

Sean

I have a TE rig and love it but have just forked put for a couple of second hand barefaced cabs. They aren’t cheap but the difference is weight is crazy, the sound is stunning as well which is all important. I bought them as second kit for the gigs up twenty flights of stairs or parking a mile away but think they will end up being my go to kit, so much so that I am whipping the head out my combo to run them off (can’t lose that TE sound altogether). One barefaced compact cab should do you compared to the ones you suggest.

The MBC115 is a decent enough cab, but is fairly heavy, and is much more low-end focused than a TE 410 - when I used mine as a standalone you could feel the notes but not necessarily hear them that well in the mix, even with highs and mids upped considerably on my amp.

If you're happy with the sound from the Trace Elliot, why not use it? Whip the head out and get yourself a 2u/4u rack case for it to live in. This'll weigh about 15lbs - an easy 1 hand lift/carry.

The choice of lightweight cabs to match with the head is extensive - personally I'd look at Vanderkleys but you'll get as many recommendations as there are members here.

BTW if you're looking for something to try to kill you, get a puppy. Mine leaves her balls and toys everywhere trying to trip me up - if I don't contribute for a few days you'll know she got me...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  Some interesting stuff there - I had previously considered pulling the head out of the TE combo and racking it, but its an awesome amp and its a shame to knacker it - but I could still be tempted...

Also yeah I noticed the MBC115 was 32Kg - which is still 15Kg lighter than my Trace - but yes I agree its probably still going to be a struggle in the long term.

I'll take a look at the cabs you guys mentioned and see what fits my budget, but once again thanks for all your suggestions

Cheers

Sean