Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

New: Sign up and get 20% off tickets for the London Bass Guitar Show - and we'll see you there!

cakerack

My Trace has nearly killed me! So looking at a new setup - advice please!

So... I have to finally admit that my delicious 1980s Trace Elliot 4x10 GP12 combo is far too heavy for me!  So I have been considering getting separate head and cab so at least I can lift it in the car.  I have my head pretty much sorted but in terms of cabs, I have the chance of a Marshall MBC115 cab for 100 quid.  Anyone got any experience of these?  Decent price?  Its in my budget, but was wondering if I should also be pairing a 2x10 with it as well.  Or should I steer clear?  Comments?  Any help or advice much appreciated!

Cheers

Sean

Well if you are looking to go light the Marshall isn't helping that much at 32Kg.

Also it is a 4 Ohm Cab so mixing it with a 2 x10 would mean another 4 Ohm Cab and an amp head that would cope with a 2 Ohm load.

Try a modern class D combo, if you're not hung up on all tube, lots of good ones to choose from. (imo)

Pair of BFM Omni 10.5 cabs in the FS section for £210:

Won't get a better deal than that if you want lightweight, great sounding cabs.

• Like 1

I have a TE rig and love it but have just forked put for a couple of second hand barefaced cabs. They aren’t cheap but the difference is weight is crazy, the sound is stunning as well which is all important. I bought them as second kit for the gigs up twenty flights of stairs or parking a mile away but think they will end up being my go to kit, so much so that I am whipping the head out my combo to run them off (can’t lose that TE sound altogether). One barefaced compact cab should do you compared to the ones you suggest.

The MBC115 is a decent enough cab, but is fairly heavy, and is much more low-end focused than a TE 410 - when I used mine as a standalone you could feel the notes but not necessarily hear them that well in the mix, even with highs and mids upped considerably on my amp.

If you're happy with the sound from the Trace Elliot, why not use it? Whip the head out and get yourself a 2u/4u rack case for it to live in. This'll weigh about 15lbs - an easy 1 hand lift/carry.

The choice of lightweight cabs to match with the head is extensive - personally I'd look at Vanderkleys but you'll get as many recommendations as there are members here.

BTW if you're looking for something to try to kill you, get a puppy. Mine leaves her balls and toys everywhere trying to trip me up - if I don't contribute for a few days you'll know she got me...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  Some interesting stuff there - I had previously considered pulling the head out of the TE combo and racking it, but its an awesome amp and its a shame to knacker it - but I could still be tempted...

Also yeah I noticed the MBC115 was 32Kg - which is still 15Kg lighter than my Trace - but yes I agree its probably still going to be a struggle in the long term.

I'll take a look at the cabs you guys mentioned and see what fits my budget, but once again thanks for all your suggestions

Cheers

Sean

If you do decide to whip the head out and use it with a different cab, just watch out for the head width before ordering a 2u case. Those 4x10 combos had wider amps than the normal 19inch jobbies. Something like 23 inch iirc to match the width of a typical 4x10 setup.

• Like 1

You can dance around this as much as you want, but if weight is starting to bother you that won't go away.

2 new light weight cabs is the right way to go.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Belka
      I think I priced this too high initially, hence a price drop to £90.
      Have owned this from new in 1996. Gigged quite regularly between 1996 and 2000 but is not getting any use now so would like to see it go to someone who is going to use it as intended.
      Condition is pretty good for its 22 years. Everything works as it should. There is a plastic cap missing from the last slider on the graphic equaliser but this doesn't affect performance at all. Comes with the foam baffles for the tuning system and original instructions.
      It's loud enough for pub gigs and small stages and would probably suit someone who's looking to start gigging but doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a rig. 
      I am located near Bristol close to Parkway station and would prefer local pickup - feel free to come round and try if you're interested. 
      Any other questions please let me know

• By discreet
      Trace Elliot Series 6 Type 7215 GP7 1X15 300W Combo
      Back in the day, I was one of the few bass players who didn't use a Trace Elliot rig. When I saw them on sale at that time (late 80s/early 90s) they seemed quite expensive and I got the impression they were solely for Mark King-alikes who favoured the now-infamous slapping style that was all over the place then… In short, it was a hairdresser’s amp and not suitable for muscular Ampeg men such as myself.  So I didn't ever have the Trace experience. In the intervening years, I've explored pretty much every other brand and every possible format of bass amp and cab with varying degrees of satisfaction. But then I saw more and more threads about old Trace gear, both here and elsewhere and was intrigued…
      …mainly because some threads insisted Trace gear sounded terrible, Trace owners wore waistcoats and looked at themselves in the mirror a lot, Trace was a one-trick pony and the gear was incredibly heavy because it was full of concrete. Others praised Trace to the skies, citing a big sound, a huge variety of tones not available elsewhere and claiming lifelong allegiance to the cause. Some very polarised views, then… but they can’t both be right, can they? This cognitive dissonance will not stand! So when I saw a Trace combo up for sale on BC, I thought ‘why not?’ It can only be terrible. Or great. I’ll find out.

Got the combo home and plugged in my Jazz Bass - it sounded terrible. So I fiddled with the EQ for a while and it was better, but not great. After quite a bit of fiddling and button-pressing and bone-headed persistence, I got some acceptable results, but there was an overall baked-in aspect to the sound I couldn't seem to get rid of, a sort of Marcus-type twangy vibe. I fiddled for a bit longer (fnarr), upped the input gain quite a bit, then loaded a play-along CD into my Linn system which I set at near-battle levels, to see what the combo would do in concert, as it were - and suddenly there it was - without changing anything, the tone was at once lush, muscular and taut - and without the twang, or rather it was still there, but it now served to make the notes articulate and present, without being in any way offensive. Nice tight bottom end, too - I eased down the 50hz slider somewhat to avoid speaker stress, raised the 100Hz a db or two and all was good. Very good. It is a big, chunky sound that puts a stupid grin on your face. I strongly suspect it will be a cracking live amp. Trace obviously made gear that was meant to be taken out into the world and gigged with a band, not used solo in a bedroom. Tip: Leave the Mid Pre Shape button alone and avoid the ‘smiley face’ EQ curve.
      A word on LOUD: According to physics, a watt is a watt is a watt, but any layman will tell you that valve watts seem louder than solid state watts. I can tell you that Trace SS watts seem louder than, er… other SS watts. And by some margin. I need to do a lot more research, but apparently this 7215 combo delivers around 180-200 watts into its internal speaker which provides an 8 ohm load. There is an additional output socket on the rear of the combo to allow an additional 8 ohm cab to be used. It will then produce the full 300 Trace watts into 4 ohms, which must be truly seismic. All GP7 combos use custom Celestion drivers, it says here.
      In use, it comes on at least as 'loud' as a regular 500W @ 4 ohms Class 'D' amp and that’s without using an extension cab. I can’t imagine ever needing one - the combo on its own is punishingly loud and must have been astonishing back in the day, largely because it’s astonishing now. It is also built like a tank and the spec of this one puts it at a scrotum-busting 35kg - however I don’t think it’s genuinely that heavy, as it’s a do-able two-handed lift into my hatchback. Lift with your legs, lift with your legs… huppp. Having said that, I wouldn't like to carry it very far… Barefaced it is not. I now keep a folding sack truck in the car. And a truss.
      So there you have it. As you know, I've been on the gear merry-go-round for decades. Could it be that if I had bought this combo in 1993 I wouldn't have needed anything else and could have put an end to amp and cab GAS right there and then, saving myself a fortune in the process? We’ll never know. Will I now recommend that you madly rush out and buy up loads of old Trace gear? I will not. Because I don’t want the price to go up. You probably wouldn't like it, anyway…
    • By Merton
      So I just acquired this from hen barn of this parish - a top fella he is!
      I heard Mick’s Elf at the SE bass bash and was impressed, I think this will be perfect for my gig in a rock band for kids, and for rehearsals etc. Saturday I’ll find out for sure... He she is, perched atop my delightful Barefaced One10:

• By Langusta
      Trace Elliot 1015H - bass cabinet
      best condition
      oryginal cover
      800 W  - 4 Ohm
      2x10 + 1x15 + tweeter
      Shipping to London for free

• By funkydoug
      Hi folks,
      SOLD NOW.
      going through a bit of a cleanse here so this wonderful amp is being sold. It is in very good clean condition and works perfectly. I've used it only very lightly but enough to know that it sounds awesome and is potently loud. 
      It is the 250w RMS amp (at 4ohms), features the glorious tube preamp (blendable with the solid state one), 12 band eq with speaker-saving red knob,  plus the dual-band and eq-tilting SMX compressor. Don't let the 250w power rating fool you, these are the magical Trace Elliot Watts which seem to defy the laws of physics. It is beastly loud!
      I'm selling as I am not gigging at the moment and want to fund studio time.

More pics are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gNoFxPMZRrskEpRIMkE4vPpoboBnNB9o 
      If any one looks at the pics and is wondering ... the little red things that can be seen at the back are Rawl plugs! They are there just there to provide a little bit of support to the amp at the back. The amp is designed to be mounted by the rack ears so they are technically redundant but I wedged them in there to provide a bit of 'suspension' at the back! Easy to remove if you want to.
      In terms of the price.
      I am looking for £200 for the amp head itself.
      £75 for the immaculate and GREEN flight case.
      That gives you a nicely racked head for £275, or you can buy either item separately.

Postage in the UK is fine but is at your expense. 

Thanks, Doug.