Why become a member? ×

Callouses & Touch Screen Devices

Skybone

I'm with you on this one Skybone - my fingertips don't work on touch screen devices very well at all.

I've got calluses on both hands and a good 50 percent of the time i'd say the contact with the screen doesn't get thru. I got a stylus but predictably I've lost it somewhere.

Big problem for me. Sometimes I have to press the same button about four times to get it to work, which makes me want to hurl the phone against a wall. But then I hate doing internet stuff on a phone anyway, the bloody keypad is just too small for my banana-like fingers. Trying to put a 'For Sale' thread together with pics and so on is a very frustrating experience away from my desktop and I won't do it unless absolutely necessary. I HATE PHONES!!

15 minutes ago, ambient said:

I don't have a problem at all, even taking into account my 7 or so hours playing each day.

Seven hours? Crikey, I thought I was going some with three hours a day. :)

Edit: But of course I have to spent another four hours a day on here, so...

Edited by discreet

On 2/14/2018 at 13:00, Skybone said:

Anyone else having issues with their touch screen devices? I can't seem to be able to use my fingertips on touch screens anymore. Have to use the side of my finger, which makes for some interesting spellings! 😃

Yes.

I don't use them whenever I can avoid them.  In addition, I like the tactile nature of a physical keyboard.  I have a bluetooth keyboard to use if my housemate needs me to do something on his tablet.

I think my sense of feel has developed better as a result of using real keyboards and that helps my bass playing.

23 hours ago, oldslapper said:

(All the plectrum users sniggering into their Dunlop 1.14mm pick tins) 🤣

They can snigger all they want.

Even if I could use a touch screen like normal folk do I wouldn't because I hate the notion of touching the screen at all!  I like a clean screen with zero fingerprints.

When someone hands me their tablet 'phone to show me a photo, I find smears in the way and the follow-up farce of wiping and loosing the photo because I've pressed a hidden side key or I've simply swiped the photo out of existence makes it more of a chore to look at someone else's holiday snaps than EVER before.

Thankfully, I don't need touch screen technology.  I'd hate to be dependent on it.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2018 at 13:29, EBS_freak said:

Just throwing it out there - since Apple iPhone battery gate, are people finding their touch screens on their 5/5s less responsive than they remember them being? Especially in the corners?

Maybe. I've got a new 5s from Apple only 3 weeks ago. They tried to replace the battery but the tab holding the old one in snapped rendering it useless. I've got a glass screen protector on my new one phone, I didn't know if it was that making it a bit more tetchy.

On 2/14/2018 at 13:26, Johnny Wishbone said:

The presumption of this issue did deter me from getting a smartphone for ages, but then I tried one and have never had any problems.  Or does this mean I'm just not playing enough? :$

I don't think so. I play a lot but I have no problem with touch screens... I think some people just have thicker skins and adding a callus may just take them over the edge of sensitivity?

• Thanks 1