Why become a member? ×

Outboard Preamps Vs. Eq Pedals

tobiewharton

On-board = less gear to carry around, plus with the East one I believe it doesn`t require any permanent mods to the bass. I had a Villex Mid control in a Precision and the scooped part was great for a slapping sound - made it almost Jazz-like. Only downside was as you brought the mids back in the volume went up, but then that`s the same as on an amp anyway.

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

On-board = less gear to carry around, plus with the East one I believe it doesn`t require any permanent mods to the bass. I had a Villex Mid control in a Precision and the scooped part was great for a slapping sound - made it almost Jazz-like. Only downside was as you brought the mids back in the volume went up, but then that`s the same as on an amp anyway.

Cheers Lozz.  Definitely don't want to go down the onboard route.  Any opinion on preamp vs. eq pedals for the same job?

If you just need the EQ sound for some songs (or parts of songs) and use the standard passive tone the rest of time, then an EQ pedal will probably be more useful in that it will have a bypass foontstwich, whereas most outboard preamps are designed to be permanently affecting your signal.

• Thanks 1

I assume BigRedX is talking about outboard preamp rack units. Most preamp pedals have bypass switches from what I've seen.

Basically an EQ is a preamp. But like Lozz said, EQ pedals should be flat and transparent with the EQ knobs centred, whereas a preamp might still impart a bit of its own flavour. Also some preamps might have special contour, voicing or deep switches that make changes that would be difficult to replicate with simple EQ controls. Not to mention a bit of overdrive, which you may or may not be looking for!

• Thanks 1