Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 finish

Leftbass

Has anyone had a Sire with a finish problem. I received a metallic red V7 yesterday. The body can be seen to be made of three slabs. The middle wood has visible lines that are raised as if the grain is  rising or a bit like de laminating  plywood. I can actually feel them through the finish, I'm a bit concerned that it'll start to flake in time. 

Edited by Leftbass

If it's like I'm visualising it's reasonably common, though a pic would help to confirm. I've seen it on basses and guitars at all prices points (cheapys, Warwicks, US Fenders amongst many others) and it's simply where the wood has moved. Being three different pieces of wood they can all move at different rates and directions. There isn't a fix unfortunately, but it usually doesn't result in anything too disastrous. In extreme cases the wood can burst at the seams, but 9 out of 10 times you just get the lines like your'e seeing now as the wood has already moved to the position it wants to be in. People don't really think of body wood moving/warping, but it's actually quite common.

That being said, if sending it back is an option, I'd definitely do so.

Edited by Manton Customs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In addition to the above, minor will happen as the woods all expand at different rates - even more so if different wood types have been moved. A flatten and polish can hide a multitude of sins.. but wouldn't recommend that for a metallic as I dont know how deep the finish is before the flakes would be exposed. If you aren't happy, send it back - but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the basses from Sire show the same... as to get a perfectly flat surface would require a lot of settling time and multiple visits to the sprayshop/polishing shop - something that a manufacturer of a mass produced bass is unlikely to be able to afford to do without impacting the price point.

Even on my BBNE2, there was a faint line in the finish where you could see where the through neck was joining to the wings that made up the body.