Why become a member? ×

Pit Bull Precision

soopercrip

So my Pit Bull kit arrived after paying the import VAT. I went for the ash body upgrade from basswood, hoping it would be

a bit lighter for my poor old arthritic shoulders:$.

The plan was for a solid colour high gloss body, but now it's here the figuring in the wood looks too nice to cover up.

I'm impressed how well the grain has been matched for a two piece body, and the fingerboard has some nice grain too.

Sooooo, what to do? A light dye colour and clear lacquer, or just leave natural and either a clear lacquer or gun oil layers.

Your opinions would help please. and any pics of the above options. 

Only thing missing I would have liked, is the hole for the bridge earth isn't drilled. Best be careful eh?

ThanksDSC_1481.thumb.JPG.ac7e13ed0788fca5fd95e62f5b42d6f3.JPG

Andy

DSC_1477.JPG

DSC_1478.JPG

DSC_1479.JPG

DSC_1480.JPG

Edited by soopercrip

I looked on their site www.pitbullguitars.com and the reviews in the community pages were favourable, so

I decided to give them a punt. I'm going to use all the electrics from the kit first and see how they go before thinking of upgrades.

Can't compare them with any other kits as this is my first

Andy

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think I`d leave that natural, just clear lacquer it`s such a beautiful grain would be a real shame to cover it up.

I have a piece of ash I picked up from a local cabinet maker, I think I'll do some test pieces for colour/clear and see how they look first.

I agree about the grain, but my plan was for colour. maybe a soft dye that keeps the grain?

Confused a bit lol

Andy

1 minute ago, soopercrip said:

I have a piece of ash I picked up from a local cabinet maker, I think I'll do some test pieces for colour/clear and see how they look first.

I agree about the grain, but my plan was for colour. maybe a soft dye that keeps the grain?

Confused a bit lol

Andy

Good luck with the build Andy.

I used Danish oil with mine (See link in signature)

5 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Good luck with the build Andy.

I used Danish oil with mine (See link in signature)

That looks nice mate (although multiple layers of oil is anything but simple) certainly brings out the grain. Were you happy with the electrics?

Andy

3 hours ago, soopercrip said:

That looks nice mate (although multiple layers of oil is anything but simple) certainly brings out the grain. Were you happy with the electrics?

Andy

For the most part yes.

The wiring instructions had the output socket wired in reverse for the socket supplied and when it was wired correctly it was crackly and nasty so I replaced it.  Other than that the electrics are fine.  There was a drilling for the bridge earth wire on mine.  It also has humbuckers that allow you to tap the coils but, like yourself, I decided to leave those sort of modifications for another time.

I'd recommend you buy better screws though.  I wouldn't take a chance on a neck or a bridge screw breaking so I didn't use the ones supplied for the most part.  It's all in the link anyway.

23 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

For the most part yes.

The wiring instructions had the output socket wired in reverse for the socket supplied and when it was wired correctly it was crackly and nasty so I replaced it.  Other than that the electrics are fine.  There was a drilling for the bridge earth wire on mine.  It also has humbuckers that allow you to tap the coils but, like yourself, I decided to leave those sort of modifications for another time.

I'd recommend you buy better screws though.  I wouldn't take a chance on a neck or a bridge screw breaking so I didn't use the ones supplied for the most part.  It's all in the link anyway.

Yes read through your build and picked up a few tips along the way. Turned out real nice mate and I'm feeling more inclined to a natural finish now.

No snap decisions though lol

Andy

6 hours ago, soopercrip said:

Confused a bit lol

Andy

An old cabinetmakers trick to see what wood looks like when you laquer it is to lick it. Or if you don't fancy that, use a very slightly damped sponge. 

If it was mine, there's no way I'd paint it.

Seen their website, it looks interesting. If you don't mind sharing, what was the complete cost of buying, shipping and taxes etc?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grangur said:

An old cabinetmakers trick to see what wood looks like when you laquer it is to lick it. Or if you don't fancy that, use a very slightly damped sponge. 

If it was mine, there's no way I'd paint it.

Seen their website, it looks interesting. If you don't mind sharing, what was the complete cost of buying, shipping and taxes etc?

Think I might try the sponge option Grangur ha ha! I don't have the receipts to hand, but it was around £200 all in for cost of bass, shipping, VAT, and Handling charge I think.

Maybe a few £ either way. Worth it I think

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Marc S said:

How about a transparent colour? Something you can still see much of the grain through?

Yes... I'd go trans red with a white guard. Would look killer with an amber tint on that maple neck. As would trans blonde and a decent tort guard.

* Please, no jokes about trans blondes... :)

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Yes... I'd go trans red with a white guard. Would look killer with an amber tint on that maple neck. As would trans blonde and a decent tort guard.

* Please, no jokes about trans blondes... :)

Hmm, red now... mind distinctly boggled. Could be right with the white guard that came with the kit (starting to dribble, and not about the trans blonde),

Andy

Being ash you are probably going to need to use a grain filler if you want a smooth finish. So to complicate things even further for you, that is available in a range of colours including clear..

If it helps, here is my telecaster guitar with black grain filler and blue dye, finished in gloss nitrocellulouse 

20171120_080818.thumb.jpg.4d05abe3e4625eb765d44fb2499ebad6.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Norris said:

Being ash you are probably going to need to use a grain filler if you want a smooth finish. So to complicate things even further for you, that is available in a range of colours including clear..

If it helps, here is my telecaster guitar with black grain filler and blue dye, finished in gloss nitrocellulouse 

20171120_080818.thumb.jpg.4d05abe3e4625eb765d44fb2499ebad6.jpg

Thanks Norris, feeling the clear colour now. What make of grain filler did you use and was it a water based dye? Discreet has me about convinced about red I think.

Andy

21 minutes ago, soopercrip said:

Thanks Norris, feeling the clear colour now. What make of grain filler did you use and was it a water based dye? Discreet has me about convinced about red I think.

Andy

I can't remember where I got the grain filler. It's "thixotropic" if that helps. It was really messy to use and could have done with several filling "passes" tbh - you'll miss bits on the first fill and it then took me ages to build up with sanding sealer. 

The dye is spirit based. You may notice that some areas of the ash took the dye better than others. I quite like the effect but if you're after a more homogenous colour you might want to consider a coloured clear lacquer base coat

18 hours ago, soopercrip said:

Think I might try the sponge option Grangur ha ha! I don't have the receipts to hand, but it was around £200 all in for cost of bass, shipping, VAT, and Handling charge I think.

Maybe a few £ either way. Worth it I think

Import duty on mine (Ibanez shaped) was about fifty quid.  That made the package around £250 before buying the bits and pieces for finishing, replacement screws, input socket,  etc.

1 hour ago, soopercrip said:

Andy

@Andyjr1515 uses a method called 'slurry and buff' to apply some of his oil finishes.  It seems to do away with the need for a separate grain filler.

Andy might link you up to where he's detailed the process better than I can but in any case I'd recommend any of his build topics for reference.  He uses lay-man's terms and as he is on a journey of exploration himself there is much to be learned by following his builds.

Other UK builders that I would recommend following are @Norris and @Jabba_the_gut.

These are just three of the superb craftsmen who are members here.  I only mention them specifically because I am acquainted with them.

3 hours ago, Norris said:

To be fair @SpondonBassed I have only built the one guitar to date so have somewhat limited experience. I did take two years to build it though, and did a heck of a lot of reading to make it how I wanted, so I suppose some of the information stuck :D

True enough.

Your studies paid off then.  I have picked up some good knowledge from your comments in various posts.  Between Jabba_the_gut's practical examples and your nuggets of information, I've learned a lot in my relatively short time on this forum.

The finish on your guitar speaks volumes.  You needn't sell yourself short.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1