Why become a member? ×

Obeche as a body wood?

project_c

Rarely hear of Obeche as a choice of body wood, anyone have any experience of it? Any particular sonic characteristics? Would you like it on a P or a J? Or a PJ? Or none of the above?

(Yes I know tone is in the fingers etc but let's pretend for a second that body wood matters). 

(which I think it does.) 

(but I understand why others may not. anyway that's neither here nor there)

Eve use Sapele on the neck and very nice to the touch it is too.  No knowledge on Obeche I'm afraid, but I will endorse your view that tonewoods do have an impact on the tone, maybe not as much as the electronics and strings, but it's there.

Interesting, thanks. I played a Shergold Marathon a while ago, it sounded amazing.

I have to admit I am firmly of the belief that wood makes a significant contribution to the overall tone, based purely on personal experience. My 2 precisions have very different characteristics unplugged, and those characteristics translate to the tone I hear through headphones when going direct. Through an amp, in a mix etc it's a different story, because there's so much other stuff on top, but up close and direct they're not very alike at all.

After having spoken to several guitar and bass builders - wood does make a difference but not so much different species but differences in individual pieces of wood (mass, moisture content, grain etc), often from the same tree - hence something as straightforward as ash - you can have an ash body on a bass weighing 8lbs, or one weighing 12+lbs. Two basses made from these woods are likely to have some differences in tone. Heavier basses generally have a thicker, bigger sound, but only if the wood has been thoroughly dried - otherwise they end up dull-sounding (like some late 70's Fenders).

I must confess to never having heard of Obeche - looking it up, it's a very light wood so may not be so suitable as a body wood as you'll likely experience neck dive (unless the neck is similarly light and the tuners super-light). It looks like it might resemble basswood or swamp ash, so potentially similar in tone? Sapele appears to be a mahogany substitute - not in my experience a particularly popular wood for bass necks but used a lot in bodies.