Why become a member? ×

NBD...the one that DIDN'T get away!

alembic1989

You know that lovely feeling when a bass you've been gassing for years shows up, coinciding with having the cash?

Just happened to me..I'm over the moon.  I've been drooling over this bass for many years..picked it up a few hours ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-Greco-GOB-1200-Electric-Bass-Guitar/302609356900?hash=item4674ec5864:g:dUcAAOSwdTJaY0Vf

It has many dings and chips, but all the controls seem to work.

Not sure whether to play it as it is or restore to its former glory.

What say you fine gentlemen?

PS does anybody know of a source of spares for these basses?

• Like 3

That is a thing of beauty! Very nice find. 

What kind of parts? These have a few things in common with Ibanez Musicians (MC900 specifically), but also some distinctly unique features. 

I believe that serial number dates it to July 1978 btw, not 1977 as the auction reads. 

The bridge looks like it is slightly bent under de tension of the strings?

Edited by LeftyJ

20 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

That is a thing of beauty! Very nice find. 

What kind of parts? These have a few things in common with Ibanez Musicians (MC900 specifically), but also some distinctly unique features. 

I believe that serial number dates it to July 1978 btw, not 1977 as the auction reads. 

The bridge looks like it is slightly bent under de tension of the strings?

I'm looking for an eq knob, as one of them is damaged. The bridge thing is an illusion.. the way the bridge is adjusted from the bridge posts makes the bridge tilt forward.. I thought the same thing when I checked out the pics. I'm also after a pair of bridge posts...any ideas?... I'll check out sources for Ibanez Spares and see if I get lucky.

thanks for the info.

Edited by alembic1989

I remember a website from a guy who sells replica SureGrip knobs and EQ knobs for Ibanez Musicians and Artists. They're identical to the ones used on these Greco's. I can't find it anymore though! 

Edit: Nevermind. Right here! Wickedly expensive at 12 dollars PER KNOB though, and there's a shipping fee. 

https://www.reproguitarparts.com/#!/EQ-knobs/p/5629649/category=1391098 

Edited by LeftyJ

26 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

I remember a website from a guy who sells replica SureGrip knobs and EQ knobs for Ibanez Musicians and Artists. They're identical to the ones used on these Greco's. I can't find it anymore though! 

Edit: Nevermind. Right here! Wickedly expensive at 12 dollars PER KNOB though, and there's a shipping fee. 

https://www.reproguitarparts.com/#!/EQ-knobs/p/5629649/category=1391098 

Thanks Lefty...I stumbled across repro guitar parts a couple of days ago, and have placed an order. You're right, they're expensive but they had the bridge posts, knobs, and special truss rod tool I needed.

That, @alembic1989, is one gorgeous bass.

In a moment of gas I got looking at another on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greco-GOB-700-Natural-Made-in-Japan-Bass-Guitar-1978-Vintage/183029327135

Have to say I'm hesitating over this with this in the description: 【Neck Condition】 the neck is bending / twisting where it separates from the body