Why become a member? ×

Using more than one input at the same time

operative451

Hi!

Ok so, i have:

a USB mixer that does a stereo out to PC.

A griffin imic USB that lets me do stereo to PC

A built in sound'card' with stereo line in.

My PC has Audacity, FL Studio, Sonus Studio One, and Ableton Live 9 lite

Is there any way of making any of the above programs (or anything else, i know REAPER is popular around these parts!) record from (ideally) any two of the USB inputs at the same time? I'd like to run guitar, bass and mic all in together on separate tracks.

Thanks! :)

Sure, as long as each is recognised by the PC as an audio-capable interface,  then it should just be a case of connecting them all and then selecting the appropriate interface for each track.

E.g. for audacity, https://www.uwec.edu/help/audacity/basics.htm#input 

And for simultaneous recording: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_how_to_s.html#Can_I_record_from_two_microphones_.28or_even_two_soundcards.29_at_the_same_time.3F 

Alternatively you can plug multiple inputs into your USB mixer, but then you're relying on the mixer's capabilities to tweak each instrument/voice and then apply post-processing to allof them en masse - whereas multiple inputs can each map to a single track, and you can then apply the appropriate processing (EQ, compression etc.) to each track as required by that instrument.

Hope that helps!

19 minutes ago, operative451 said:

Thanks, i found that previously - it fell down at the 'can only record from one device at a time part though! I was hoping to get 3 or 4 tracks recording at the same time from different devices...

Ah, I wasn't sure (and can't test because I don't have Windows) whether this part was relevant: 

"

If you have two USB microphones or any other separate sound devices you can aggregate them as a single device for recording in Audacity, or use other recording software to record the two devices to separate tracks.

• On Windows you can try the following.
    • Some applications can route two devices to one stream. Use Voice Meeter (donationware - see this YouTube video tutorial) or Virtual Audio Cable (not free).
    • It may also be possible on Windows to use the "Listen" feature to route inputs to the output, though this is slightly lossy.
      1. Right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose "Recording devices".
      2. Right-click over the first device, choose "Properties" then the "Listen" tab (if available).
      3. Check "Listen to this device" and set it to play through the required soundcard.
      4. Repeat the steps for the other devices.
      5. Use the "stereo mix" feature on your soundcard (if it has such a feature) to record the computer playback.
    • Alis can capture simultaneous recordings from different soundcards."

What USB mixer do you have? Less ability to process each instrument, but probably the option requiring the least Windows shenanigans...

Most (all) DAWs will only be able to load one audio driver at a time, with the audio driver only recognising one 'interface' at a time.
In some cases (on Macs), it's possible to create an aggregate device, to combine inputs/outputs from multiple connected devices, but it's ropey at best.
Ideally, to save yourself space and hassle, just buy yourself a dedicated audio interface that has the amount of i/o you require.....you'll thank yourself later!

Si
(For transparency I work for Focusrite, not trying to sell you anything, just make your life easier ^_^ )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sibob said:

In some cases (on Macs), it's possible to create an aggregate device, to combine inputs/outputs from multiple connected devices, but it's ropey at best.
Ideally, to save yourself space and hassle, just buy yourself a dedicated audio interface that has the amount of i/o you require.....you'll thank yourself later!

Indeed, that's what I was doing on my Mac before making it a lot simpler with a Scarlett 2i2.

Much easier; my playing, however, remains ropey at best :)

Edited by Kevsy71

42 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

@SibobThe pedant in me is saying... get yourself a Dante network and you can have a bazillion (OK I exaggerate) interfaces available to you. Guessing you know this already cos of Rednet.

{ thread derail }

You may enjoy this read: https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/21300/rednet-casestudy-usher-elec_1.pdf

{ /thread derail }

Si

46 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Love it!

back at ya - https://www.audinate.com/sites/default/files/PDF/large-scale-houses-of-worship-avnw-orlando-150616-pres-audinate.pdf

EDIT: taken to PM to avoid derailing!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sibob said:

Most (all) DAWs will only be able to load one audio driver at a time, with the audio driver only recognising one 'interface' at a time.

Si
(For transparency I work for Focusrite, not trying to sell you anything, just make your life easier ^_^ )

I would recommend this 

through a lifetime of using workarounds, mainly because of a desire to get to a destination without having the monetary resources, I have come to the conclusion that I can make stuff, build stuff and repair lots of stuff , but the minute you start to get mixed up in the world of digital music recording , just get stuff that works for what you need it to do, that it is known to work , and that there is support when it does your head in !! 

The attempts at workarounds in this environment is one that can be the most frustrating things going , especially when you realise for an extra few quid , the kit just works ! 

Ok, so just for my blood pressure/mental health/general rage issues - if i want to be able to record;

Vocal mic
Guitar
Bass

against a backing track produced in FL studio (ideally not mixed down so say 4 tracks of audio)

All at the same time, and don't want to spent lots of money (say around £100 max) - is there a thing and what should i buy? :D

11 minutes ago, operative451 said:

Ok, so just for my blood pressure/mental health/general rage issues - if i want to be able to record;

Vocal mic
Guitar
Bass

against a backing track produced in FL studio (ideally not mixed down so say 4 tracks of audio)

All at the same time, and don't want to spent lots of money (say around £100 max) - is there a thing and what should i buy? :D

Do you want to record those three instruments simultaneously, or one at a time?

Si

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

Do you want to record those three instruments simultaneously, or one at a time?

Si

I presume the "All at the same time" comment means that they do.
Sorry - the above isn't arsey - everything I write in that manner comes out really arsey though! Can't figure a way of saying it without sounding like a douche.

12 minutes ago, operative451 said:

All at the same time yes - :) I know, text is a bit impersonal isn't it!

That behringer thingy could be the one! Thanks! :)

Ah sorry, missed that important detail lol.

Yeah, 4 preamps for under £100 does just leave you with Behringer, unless you find something better used of course.

Si

• 2 weeks later...