Why become a member? ×

Sparse basslines

josie

This is a great topic. It's really got me thinking about songs with minimal bass, but bass which is an essential component of the song|
You often hear the saying "less is more" and in music terms, it has taken me a long time to realise how true this is
Enjoying this thread, and looking forward to seeing / hearing more suggestions :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a Who song. Yep, with John Entwistle on bass and everything:

Admittedly this is dredging right down to one of the few good tracks off probably their weakest album, but even though the bass tone is completely over the top, the playing is surprisingly restrained, especially by The Ox's standards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a Who song. Yep, with John Entwistle on bass and everything:

Admittedly this is dredging right down to one of the few good tracks off probably their weakest album, but even though the bass tone is completely over the top, the playing is surprisingly restrained, especially by The Ox's standards.

For the first couple of minutes anyway 😂

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

Can I join in? Some wonderful suggestions here and so much I can learn from all of them. This little gem also springs to mind

Of course you can join in Stew :)
Now there's a bass line that's proof of the addage "It's just as much about the notes you leave out".....

Just now, Marc S said:

Of course you can join in Stew :)
Now there's a bass line that's proof of the addage "It's just as much about the notes you leave out".....

Cheers! Even the middle 8 is reasonably sparse and just one change between verse and chorus. I'm learning this for a band right now and cannot wait to play it live.

3 minutes ago, King Tut said:

STING

Yeah, he's already been mentioned King Tut
His careful choice of notes is quite under-rated IMO
"Walking On The Moon" is just so simple, yet brilliant (of course, there are plenty of other examples too)

• Like 1

On 12 February 2018 at 23:45, josie said:

Not sure why I just went back to early Dire Straits with good headphones, but I've been blown away by the sparseness of John Illsley's bassline on "Ride Across the River". It's a dark broody song, and one can easily see a heavy bassline working well, but there's nothing at times, and then two notes on an off-beat, and then three notes where your ear fills in the next three that should be there but aren't. Perfect "play the rests as well as the notes", and "less is more".

Any other suggestions for perfect minimal bass?

John Illsley

That's a brilliant song - I've been learning it on guitar too (Mark Knopfler's playing on it is also very sparse and tasteful). It's a lovely, dark brooding song, and thankfully the complete opposite to Walk of Life...

On 13 February 2018 at 08:31, NickD said:

Above, by Mad Season... the whole album.

I'd bought it because of the Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam connection, but John Baker-Saunders' lines are the star, it's just an exercise in letting every individual note breathe. I recall back when it was released, it was the only non-Jazz/Fusion release that I ever saw get a 5 star review in the American Bass Player magazine. More than 20 years later it's still sublime (YMMV).

There's an album i haven't heard in a while - it was brilliant tho wasn't it? Must get on Amazon and find a copy...

• Like 2

On 12/02/2018 at 23:45, josie said:

Not sure why I just went back to early Dire Straits with good headphones, but I've been blown away by the sparseness of John Illsley's bassline on "Ride Across the River". It's a dark broody song, and one can easily see a heavy bassline working well, but there's nothing at times, and then two notes on an off-beat, and then three notes where your ear fills in the next three that should be there but aren't. Perfect "play the rests as well as the notes", and "less is more".

Any other suggestions for perfect minimal bass?

John Illsley

That's a nice bassline, very reminiscent of a reggae "one drop" line.