Why become a member? ×

Sparse basslines

josie

Not sure why I just went back to Dire Straits with good headphones, but I've been blown away by the sparseness of John Illsley's * bassline on "Ride Across the River". It's a dark broody song, and one can easily see a heavy bassline working well, but there's nothing at times, and then two notes on an off-beat, and then three notes where your ear fills in the next three that should be there but aren't. Perfect "play the rests as well as the notes", and "less is more".

Any other suggestions for perfect minimal bass?

* or maybe someone else according to one of the posts below

Edited by josie
Corrections made in later posts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Well, I'm going to offer this. Very sparse in terms of notes used and it's the same pattern played over and over. But it's not about the bass line, its about how it works with everything else that's going on around it.

I must have listen to this thousands of times since it's release and I never bore of it. Utterly magical.

Oh yes :-)

Above, by Mad Season... the whole album.

I'd bought it because of the Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam connection, but John Baker-Saunders' lines are the star, it's just an exercise in letting every individual note breathe. I recall back when it was released, it was the only non-Jazz/Fusion release that I ever saw get a 5 star review in the American Bass Player magazine. More than 20 years later it's still sublime (YMMV).

This.

Always loved the sparseness of bass in much of the AWB stuff. Alan Gorrie is a master of playing what's needed, when others 

would have been all over it and killed the groove completely.

Hamish Stuart (when he was with them) was equally adept at this as well.

Free's 'All right now' is another great example. So economical that it's not even there in the verses!

Then when the chorus kicks in it's so effective, and the 'solo' part has more weight too.

Andy Fraser - what an amazing player. Joined the band when he was 15, co-wrote and co produced this track when he was 17.

Genius.

• Like 1

Preaching my usual sermon.  Listen to any good country bass player. Just because the music is simple doesn't mean it is easy.

Seen so many sneering rockers fall flat on their asses trying to get a country line right.  A few years back I was hired to re-record the whole of a country album that had been played on upright by a well respected jazzer, who just couldn't hear the ACTUAL  feel for the songs at all.  Listen to some Waylon Jennings for the Texas beat feel.

• Like 1

To me this is almost the perfect rock song.

George Lynch is a vastly underrated guitarist and I think this is a beautiful solo, easily matching the famous Zak Wylde in Ozzy’s no more tears.

Ray Luzier is a monster drummer and drives the song, rhythm changes etc.

dUg kills it with simplicity.

KXM - Breakout - I could listen to this everyday and not get bored.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

I read the title of the thread and immediately thought of Tina Weymouth, was going to suggest "Genius of Love" (by Tom Tom Club) as an example but there's a number of others too.

Psycho Killer is great, sparse but rhythmic enough to keep the song going, I wonder/doubt if we`d ever have heard it had another bassist filled it with as many complex notes as possible.

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Psycho Killer is great, sparse but rhythmic enough to keep the song going, I wonder/doubt if we`d ever have heard it had another bassist filled it with as many complex notes as possible.

It's a great song and I think you are spot on. Tina Weymouth is superb, definitely an important inspiration for me.

3 hours ago, ivansc said:

Preaching my usual sermon.  Listen to any good country bass player. Just because the music is simple doesn't mean it is easy.

Seen so many sneering rockers fall flat on their asses trying to get a country line right.  A few years back I was hired to re-record the whole of a country album that had been played on upright by a well respected jazzer, who just couldn't hear the ACTUAL  feel for the songs at all.  Listen to some Waylon Jennings for the Texas beat feel.

Absolutely. Played with some jazz drummers / bassists who couldn't stop themselves from playing as many notes as 

possible, and berating simple pop tunes when they couldn't actually just play the lines to support the song as required.

Country stuff is a prime example of this - most of the top players in the genre could whip the more out there flash players

into a cocked hat. But don't.

A lot of the Joy Division stuff is quite sparse. This one is "24 hours", from their "Atmosphere" LP
I'm not sure the whole thing would be counted / defined as sparse - but the quieter / slower sections certainly are
Great sound and feeling of space, in a fairly sparse bass-line - nice melody too, in which the bass is the "key" instrument

• Like 2