Why become a member? ×

Music shop fails

MarkG3

Maplins looking for a speaker lead. They had a few different shortish leads all packaged but none specified what they were actually for.

Me - is this a speaker or guitar lead

Shop - they're all the same anyway (6 foot gorilla talking)

Me - (five foot five in a don't fosters me about tone) No they are not!

Shop - (now sheepish) well, I know they aren't really but it will do

Me - (sound of my footsteps heading towards the door) 

I don't know if all Maplins are the same but ours has to be the worst place for advice. Never mind the prices! 

Edited by itsmedunc

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Kind of obsolete now though whether they were or not!

Have they gone into administration? Hope so. Normally I'd be bothered about people's jobs but every time I'd been to my local branch everyone appeared to be brain dead when it came to anything remotely electronic. 😂

9 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

Have they gone into administration? Hope so. Normally I'd be bothered about people's jobs but every time I'd been to my local branch everyone appeared to be brain dead when it came to anything remotely electronic. 😂

Yep. they have closed now.

Our local one was actually pretty helpful, so its a shame here.

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep. they have closed now.

Our local one was actually pretty helpful, so its a shame here.

That is a shame really. Bit flippant saying I hoped they'd gone. I'm sure the staff here had/have something to do with Blackburns employment policy. There's loads of apprenticeships. There was one job recently advertised on the council website for an apprentice ice cream server? It's boomtown really!

15 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

"Do you have a set of standard gauge Rotosounds?"

"Depends what you mean by standard gauge"

"The ones that say standard gauge on the pack."

"Yeah, but what gauge are they?"

45-105 were “standard” in my head.

im sure elites called them “medium gauge” though - and 40-100 was medium/light.

could be wrong. Not used either company for a long time.

Edited by AndyTravis

9 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

"Do you have a set of standard gauge Rotosounds?"

"Depends what you mean by standard gauge"

"The ones that say standard gauge on the pack."

"Yeah, but what gauge are they?"

but what's standard? 45-105? 40-100? Both are pretty 'popular'...

Still, if I were the sales guy I'd have probably offered you to choose between them if I had both... 

1 minute ago, mcnach said:

but what's standard? 45-105? 40-100? Both are pretty 'popular'...

Still, if I were the sales guy I'd have probably offered you to choose between them if I had both... 

Standard is 45-105. Perhaps the most famous set of bass strings of all time. Standard is written on the packet, there is no choice; standard is standard. 

I had the strangest experience  in GAK once. Went in for a wander, decided to buy some guitar strings on the way out, to be polite...

Me: Hello, can I have a set of D'Addario nickel 11's please?
GAK man: Have you tried these? (Ernie Balls)
Me: Ah, yes, tried them many times but I prefer D'Addarios, so just those, cheers... (points to strings in question)
GM: Have you considered these (gets a packet of Rotosounds and goes into a long and confused explanation about wrap material)
Me: (eventually realising he's trying to push stainless) Er, no, I use nickels. Can I get the D'Addarios?
GM: What guitar do you play?
Me: (a bit exasperated now) Eh? They're for a Gibson ES330.
GM: Ah, you don't want them. You want 10's. Always, always use 10's on a Gibson.
Me: Seriously, mate... this guitar's had nickel 11's for 20 years.
GM: (firmly) You should try the 10's.
Me: Uhh... forget it. 

It was so, so bizarre. And a bit aggressive, and unfunny. I can only assume the assistants were having a bet or something amongst themselves. I hope he lost O.o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, arthurhenry said:

Standard is 45-105. Perhaps the most famous set of bass strings of all time. Standard is written on the packet, there is no choice; standard is standard. 

well, what do you know? It does indeed say Standard on the package! (I have one set in my possession and I had never noticed!) :D

No question... Rotosound standard will be 45-105, then!

I guess the thing is there is no 'universal' standard with each company calling their sets something different, so presumably the sales guy wasn't familiar with the naming convention for the Rotosound strings, rather than being deliberately obtuse... but if you're saying "the ones that say standard on the pack", there really is no argument there, right? 

I just don’t go into music shops at all. I don’t like them. 

I wouldn’t miss the nearest one to me, it never stocks anything I’d buy, it doesn’t do guitar/bass repairs or set ups or repairs to other music equipment. 

Edited by Marvin

On 3/1/2018 at 21:38, Horrorhiker said:

I've definitely been unwittingly talked out of spending money before, both with guitars and other things. I used to have a pretty obvious heavy metal look, for want of a better term, when I was younger. I've twice walked out of car showrooms due to not being taken seriously by the smarmy sales people. Money burning a hole in my pocket and everything. I wish they knew it actually. 

I looked similar in my younger days.

In the early 90s I had just sold a house and the proceeds were sitting in my bank account so I went into a local music shop and asked to try a Warwick Thumb that I'd had my eye on for a while. He got it down, did a minute of the obligatory slap then handed it over. I asked if he could plug it into an amp but he declined saying I couldn't afford it.

I went down the road and found a nice Ibanez Musician which I still have and I haven't bought anything in the first shop since that day.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:24, T-Bay said:

I want to like our local shop, the people who run it are genuinely nice and passionate about getting people into music. Sadly in the space of a big corner shop they are never going to have a big range of anything. The chap who co runs it (I think) is no spring chicken and the basses they have are overpriced and dusty and grimy so not appealing. The only new stuff is Encore type entry quality. It’s a shame as I think any town having a music shop is a good thing and helps fires the imagination of kids. I still remember buying a recorder from Gould’s in Derby at age 5 (can’t play it).

Do you mean foulds?

Local music shops where I live are more like this.

Me: Hi.

Him: Arr. What be ‘ee looking forr? We ‘as a nice range of galoubets, serpents and lutes. Or a dulcimer if ‘ee want summat new-fangled?

Me: Errm, actually I’m more interested in bass guitars..?

Him: Guitars? Arr right, well we’ve got a very nice baroque guitar over ‘ere…

Me: No no, a bass guitar.

Him: {confused} Well it don’t come with no base, but…

Me: No, a bass. An electric b…

Him: {recoils in horror} Elastictrickery?? Why, 'tiz the work of beelzebub! Are you in league with the dark one? {yells out to the back of the shop} Perpetua! Assemble the townsfolk and loight the bonfire! We ‘as one of satan’s imps in ‘ere!

{exit Rich, pursued by pitchfork-waving mob of very closely related locals}

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

Him: Arr. What be ‘ee looking forr? We ‘as a nice range of galoubets, serpents and lutes. Or a dulcimer if ‘ee want summat new-fangled?

Him: {recoils in horror} Elastictrickery?? Why, 'tiz the work of beelzebub! Are you in league with the dark one? {yells out to the back of the shop} Perpetua! Assemble the townsfolk and loight the bonfire! We ‘as one of satan’s imps in ‘ere!

Imagine if they knew you'd driven there in a car...... and not a horse and cart?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

(Yells over shoulder to assembly of other Mods... "Quick, get the grappling irons..! There's one here admitting to be in league with Ye Who Must Not Be Named..! Prepare the furnace, and a few bottles of Holy Water..! He may even be an adept of [Gasp..!] Hall..! I always knew we had one in our midst; well here he is..! Don't let him wriggle away..!")

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Guitar tech,

were shall commence with thy seasonal turneth of thy truss rod. Acting careful asth to not strippeth thy rod. 

• Haha 1