Why become a member? ×

Music shop fails

MarkG3

My local music shop is terrible. Way over priced and has had the a lot of the same stock for about 5 years now.

I simply wanted a pack of strings that I could afford. I was then offered and tried to be sold a set of strings with the G missing for a bargain £15. I laughed and walked out. They aren't very helpful

I honestly don't know what's keeping them open.

What are some of your experiences of fails like this???

PMT in Nottingham has had 4 and 5 string sets of EB Super Slinky Bass priced the same for the last year at least. Every time I went in there I got them to price check against other stores and every time they admitted it was a mistake in the database. I assume a lot of suckers are paying 5 quid over the odds for 4 string sets. I'm getting mine on-line now.  Slinkys shouldn't cost more than D'Addario Pro Steels, that's for sure.

A local shop to me - now gone - very abbreviated but you`ll get the idea:

Me - Have you any Rotosound bass strings?

Shop - We`ve got Ernie Balls, they`re very good.

Me - Yes, but I`m after Rotosounds only.

Shop - Ernie Balls are great strings.

Me - Goodbye

Why not just answer the question, it was like a politician being interviewed by Paxman, completely avoided just saying either they didn`t have any in stock, or that they didn`t stock them at all. I simply couldn`t get them to admit either, just kept rattling on about how many bassists use Ernie Ball strings and how great they are.

I've had similar conversations in quite large shops, they just keep ignoring my question and try to sell me something I don't want because 'they're popular'. I've been playing for decades, I know what I want (well what I want this week, next week might be different!).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Me - Goodbye

Why not just answer the question, it was like a politician being interviewed by Paxman, completely avoided just saying either they didn`t have any in stock, or that they didn`t stock them at all. I simply couldn`t get them to admit either, just kept rattling on about how many bassists use Ernie Ball strings and how great they are.

I had the opposite once, went into a shop who stocked every ernie ball guitar string and asked for EB bass strings.

Them- sorry we don’t have Ernie ball bass strings

me- not to worry, can you order them

them - we have rotosounds, best bass strings in the world

me- they aren’t for me, I don’t like the feel of them

them- why what’s wrong with them

me - goodbye 😄

Edited by NJE

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Me - Goodbye

To be fair he had a point :D

I want to like our local shop, the people who run it are genuinely nice and passionate about getting people into music. Sadly in the space of a big corner shop they are never going to have a big range of anything. The chap who co runs it (I think) is no spring chicken and the basses they have are overpriced and dusty and grimy so not appealing. The only new stuff is Encore type entry quality. It’s a shame as I think any town having a music shop is a good thing and helps fires the imagination of kids. I still remember buying a recorder from Gould’s in Derby at age 5 (can’t play it).

Recently some better shops have opened up in the South Wales Area, but before that it was dreadful.

We got a PMT in Cardiff City Centre, and I hear good things about 'A Strings' which is in Pontypridd.

Before that we had the ridiculously overpriced Cranes in Cardiff/Swansea (now closed), and Gamlins is still there in Cardiff, but they're not the most 'interested' bunch really.  Also GM Music in Cardiff where you literally cannot swing a cat.

• Like 1

This isn't limited to shops. I had an email ding dong with Strings & Things simply ASKING I they could get Bongo pickguards. 

Them: We don't deal with the public and you need to speak to your local EBMM dealer

Me: I know that, but CAN you get them?!

Them: You need to ask your stockist.

Me: Yes but then they'll ask you won't they ? I just want to know if you can get stock of them to avoid wasting time.

Them: I'm dyslexic sorry. Yes we can.

:dash1:

Edited by Machines
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Machines said:

This isn't limited to shops. I had an email ding dong with Strings & Things simply ASKING I they could get Bongo pickguards. 

Them: We don't deal with the public and you need to speak to your local EBMM dealer

Me: Yes but then they'll ask you won't they ? I just want to know if you can get stock of them to avoid wasting time.

What a shame, I had amazing dealings with S&T a few months ago. The guy I spoke to said they don’t sell direct to public anymore but asked what I needed and got it ordered for me direct with EB as it wasn’t a standard item (white pickup covers). They got held up with Cities basses in transit but I wasn’t in a rush. Got updates and then he arranged for me to pick them up from my local dealer to pay for them, amazing! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJE said:

What a shame, I had amazing dealings with S&T a few months ago. The guy I spoke to said they don’t sell direct to public anymore but asked what I needed and got it ordered for me direct with EB as it wasn’t a standard item (white pickup covers). They got held up with Cities basses in transit but I wasn’t in a rush. Got updates and then he arranged for me to pick them up from my local dealer to pay for them, amazing! 

Another vote for them here, absolutely fantastic when I was trying to get spare parts. After a bit of tooing and froing it turned out they couldn’t get the part so sent a complete new one free of charge as show of good faith. More than impressed with them.

• Like 1

Me - Could I take a closer look at this bass please?

Them - ** reaches it down and starts slapping 7 shades out of it **

Me - Is that hard to play?

Them - Umm...??

Me - Cos it's f**king hard to listen to.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Mudpup said:

You'll miss them when the interweb has killed them all off........no nipping in to solve last minute emergencies

Me - Have you got a single D string?

Them - Why yes, we sell Roto singles.

Me - It's OK, on second thoughts, I'll wing the gig a string down. 

2 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

You'll miss them when the interweb has killed them all off........no nipping in to solve last minute emergencies

I'd miss the good ones, but I suspect they will last longer because they're good. I certainly won't miss the arrogant chancers though...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Me - Goodbye

Oh god...too many shops I've been to where I've had to quite bluntly tell them, "I've tried Ernie Balls before, and I don't particularly like them."

A few years ago an old house mate mentioned that he'd be up in central London and was meeting some friends near Tottenham Court Road, so did I need anything from Denmark Street? I replied that yes, actually, I was hoping to get some new strings, and wrote down the gauge and two preferred brands. Then as a failsafe I added "NOT ERNIE BALL" in case. Apparently the guy behind the counter gave "a knowing laugh" when he saw the note.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LewisK1975 said:

Recently some better shops have opened up in the South Wales Area, but before that it was dreadful.

We got a PMT in Cardiff City Centre, and I hear good things about 'A Strings' which is in Pontypridd.

Before that we had the ridiculously overpriced Cranes in Cardiff/Swansea (now closed), and Gamlins is still there in Cardiff, but they're not the most 'interested' bunch really.  Also GM Music in Cardiff where you literally cannot swing a cat.

unless its a fairly patient cat that doesn't mind a few nasty knocks on the head.

I walked past Cranes when I was in Cardiff a few years ago, very interesting stuff in the window. 

37 minutes ago, Machines said:

Many years ago (it was when Sound Control was still a going concern and before buying stuff on the internet had really taken off) I wanted to buy Herco Flex 75 picks in bulk. A friend who used to work there had been able to get me a box of 100 picks which worked out at well under half the price of buying them individually and at the rate I was using/losing them it made good sense. As I was nearing the end of my current stock I popped into the shop to enquire about getting another box of 100.

After a lot of poring over stock catalogues, was told "we'll see what we can do". A couple of weeks later, I was told my picks were in stock and I turned up to be presented with a pack of 6. 

Me - "No that's no good - 6 will last me about a month if I'm careful. Can you get me a box of 100 like you did before?"

Them - "It was supposed to be 100. We'll place the order again."

So off I went. In the mean time I had a search on the internet. It turns out that Herco Flex 75 are still available in 100s but seemingly only in the US. Still I'm sure that Strings & Things will be able to sort me out.

And so for another 6 months I was bounced between Sound Control, Strings & Things and Jim Dunlop (who own the Herco brand) in the US. Jim Dunlop would only deal with Strings & Things because they were the UK distributor. Strings & Things would only deal with Sound Control, because they didn't sell direct to the public, and it didn't seem to matter how often I went into the shop or phoned them about the progress of order, the box of 100 picks still hadn't arrived. The manager of the shop looked embarrassed to see me every Saturday, and he had no picks to sell me.

Finally I tracked down a source in the US who would sell me 100 Herco picks and ship them to the UK, and I was just about to do the deal when Sound Control phoned to inform me that my picks had arrived. I ended up getting a second box of 100 for free for being so patient.

I've almost used up all of these 200 picks, but luckily there are plenty of sources in the UK who will sell me 100 Herco Flex 75s at a sensible price.