Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB435?

TRBboy

These are the newer siblings of the BB424/425s and as such their pedigree is proven. @Al Krow and I were in the Yamaha store in Central London a little while back and got to play some BBs. I don’t think either of us laid hands on the 435 but based on what we did try, the new series are every bit as well made as the oldies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, M@23 said:

Did you bite the bullet @TRBboy?

I'm thinking about grabbing a 735a.

Hey @M@23, nah not yet, it all depends whether i decide to sell my two current Sandbergs or not. I have a new one incoming in June, and IF I do decide to move on my current two, I'm looking at something like the 435 as a backup bass. Hoping there's one to try somewhere at the LBGS.....

• Like 1

I'm looking to change my bass in the next month or two. The 434 is a strong possibility for me, as well as the 734a. The little feedback you can find is exclusively positive as far as I can see. Along with these on my current short list are the Schecter Model T session, and CV-4. You might like to have a look at the 5 string versions of these as a wild card? I'll be getting one of these basses in the coming weeks, but I'd say the 434 is front runner at the moment. In fact I will be trying the Yamahas tomorrow so will try and remember to feed back here. The 734a is more unlikely unless I try it and totally fall in love. The extra £300 wouldn't be worth it for me, based on the differences, on paper at least. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

I'm looking to change my bass in the next month or two. The 434 is a strong possibility for me, as well as the 734a. The little feedback you can find is exclusively positive as far as I can see. Along with these on my current short list are the Schecter Model T session, and CV-4. You might like to have a look at the 5 string versions of these as a wild card? I'll be getting one of these basses in the coming weeks, but I'd say the 434 is front runner at the moment. In fact I will be trying the Yamahas tomorrow so will try and remember to feed back here. The 734a is more unlikely unless I try it and totally fall in love. The extra £300 wouldn't be worth it for me, based on the differences, on paper at least. 

Cool, let us know how you get on! I really wish they did the 435 with a maple board like the 434m....

18 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Cool, let us know how you get on! I really wish they did the 435 with a maple board like the 434m....

Yes, I am most interested in the maple actually. There is a chance they will do it in the future I guess as the maple version of the 434 came out later than the rest (over here anyway). I did read somewhere that the pickups are bright for a passive bass anyway, and that the maple didn't make as much difference as they were expecting. IMO it always looks better regardless.  

On 2/23/2018 at 10:00, TRBboy said:

Hello! I tried the 434 and 734 today. It wasn't a fair comparison really as the 734 seemed to be set up almost perfectly and the 434 had a very low action with a ton of fret buzz which coloured my opinion a bit. (both direct from the factories so not the shops fault). It sounded good though. I specifically asked to try the basses through a cheaper, bog standard amp with flat levels, and fret buzz aside, the sounds coming from the 434 were very respectable for a sub £500 bass. Piano like clarity and consistent levels all around the neck. It would be easy to dial in a workable sound for most uses. Very fast and comfortable to play. 

Both basses felt quite light to me. I also tried a couple of Mexican Ps and the Yamaha's were noticeably lighter and sleeker to hold and play, as you might expect. (They also both sounded far better than the Fenders by a long shot in my humble opinion). 

The bit you may curse me for saying though is that what I didn't expect, was how much better quality the 734 would feel. To me it was a wide gulf. The neck on the 734 is one of the best I've ever played, and the fit and finish are absolutely top notch. This one felt like a premium bass, and made the 434 seem functional yet forgettable when played side to side. Soundwise the pickups sounded much beefier and fuller too. I didn't hear it active as it had no battery in it, but I'm really after a passive bass anyway now since I heard that its complicated using fuzz with active basses.  

I would say on both basses, despite what I said on my previous post, I would try the maple before buying one if poss. They didn't have any maple necked ones but the ones I played today were both quite bright as they were. I tried the blue 434, cant remember the colour name, but it didn't do too much for me. (In other words I thought it looked grim). The 3 tone burst looked much better in the flesh, though this is a matter of personal taste obviously. 

It's given me a bit of a headache now, as I would never use the active function of the 734, and I'm trying to work out if the £200 is justifiable for what is essentially a luxury feel. Some of the extra money is to pay for active electronics I would never use.  I'd say that the 434 is definitely worth the money, but personally after playing the 734, I forgot all about it. I would be more inclined to pick up a used 434, but would be happier getting a 734 new, as It's more likely to be a real lifetime keeper. 

Funny enough the sales guy said I was the 3rd customer that day to come in and compare two BBs, but the others were comparing the 234 and 434. They both left with the same dilemma apparently. They were really hoping they would like the cheaper one more ha ha. 

That probably hasn't helped you much, but in summary, you wouldn't be disappointed with the 400 series I'd say, and obviously for £200 more you'd expect the model up to feel better..that's why its 200 quid more. Put it this way..I'd easily have the 434 over a Mexican fender, or good Sterling Ray which are the main direct competitors imo. You'd be better off trying them out if you can I guess. 

My options now are the 734, or a Schecter CV-4. There is nowhere I can try a Schecter round here so its a tough one. £100 less, and more like what I need, but can't try it and now that 734 is singing to me telepathically.... "buy..meee..buy..meeeee".

I both really love and really hate buying basses.