Why become a member? ×

DIY Acoustic Panels

Skol303

10 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Thanks for the links, I've done a fair bit of roughing it out based on Bob Golds data. Couldn't help but notice even he can't find specs for the RWA45!

I'd not seen the BBC stuff. You do realise I'm now going to have read my way through all of that, don't you 51m0n? xD

Yep, its absolutely fascinating - literally all the research papers dating back to the 30's on studio design, absorption and diffusion, partition wall design, acoustics in various studios. I mean this is the absolute real deal, proper science and actual investment in trying multiple possible solutions to many problems faced in studio design.

It is a time consuming read, but I can't recommend it enough. I've read most of it that pertains to studio design/acoustic treatment that was written in the last 50 years and its truly excellent material.

• 2 years later...

I think it's time to get serious and read this thread again along with below thread to get a better understanding of this complex subject. My room is ready but currently empty as it needs decorating. The reverb is similar to spring reverb at the moment.

Superchunks are a very popular method. They can also be made more effective by positioning them a couple of inches away from the walls, since it is barrier traversal that uses up most energy.

Another interesting and pretty good compromise is a design with a 4" deep layer across the corner, with another 2" to 4" different density layer behind it across the corner with a 2" air gap.

It's way harder to build, but uses less gear. You should be checking out gearslutz acoustics forum for more info!

• 6 months later...
On 02/03/2018 at 14:26, Skol303 said:

^ Good stuff! Let us know how you get on.

PS: if you're planning on kitting your room out with acoustic treatment over time, then it might be worth investing in an omnidirectional mic and a copy of Fuzzmeasure (or REW... which is free but not quite so easy to use). Very useful for identifying exactly which frequencies need tackling, reflection points, etc.

That said, I went along way myself without taking any acoustic measurements. So it's not essential, but something to consider.

Can I get away without measuring the rooms accoustics? The omnidirectional mic I found online is inexpensive but the found the process complicated.

• 1 month later...

Last question,😁, I now have a dedicated music room and ready to build traps, then maybe deflectors. 

Wickes sells Rockwool, and I'll be opting for 100 mm thickness. The problem is , the package or online description does not give how many kg/ m3. 

Does it matter? Or would the Rockwool work. My latest mix was mixed mostly on speakers, but lacks bass when listened in car.  The room is currently not treated.

On 12/02/2021 at 20:26, Jus Lukin said:

That would make sense given that the room you mix in could bolster low end, depending on the repsonse.

I've got some half-made at home, I'll take some snaps when I get back from visiting me Mam! The Rockwool RW45 or acoustic wool or whatever seems to work well. Should be 45kg/M³. It's weird that they don't make the details readily available, although they can be dug up, if you follow the Google maze!

Resolved, located a branch that sells it at traders rate. Thanks for help again.

After an extensive research on other forums (which I'm not a member of) I found some concerning information regarding health risks by having bass traps built from mineral/Rockwool.

Edited by SH73
Correction

• 2 weeks later...

I sprayed my panels with diluted pva  (Unibond ) before covering with some old velvet curtains. I think the idea is it forms a slight crust and stops the fibres coming off. I  think I got this tip off a DIY panel video, seems to work well.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

• 1 month later...

Hi there Skol303

Great post so thanks for this!

I am looking at making some 100mm panels and have a couple of questions.

I have been looking at some Knauf RS60 which states it has a density of 60kg/m3 , would this be OK or would it be too dense?

Also regarding the frames, I have access to some 18x18mm aluminum angle molding, I was considering bolting together and constructing a tight fit box around the insulation. Other then fixing the fabric can you see any issues with this? I'm assuming I could get it secure enough to stop any vibrations.

Thanks Jamie