Why become a member? ×

Pedal board messiness

uk_lefty

I never thought I'd be a pedalboard guy but it turns out I am. I won't bore you with a story so similar to all of your own, but I find myself in a mess of cables. My Gator board isn't massive, I don't want to buy a bigger board, but I have taped my power pack underneath and now I have a mess of cables underneath the board. Is there anywhere I can get really short 9v connector cables, or any good tips on tidying these away somehow? For patch cables between pedals I've just invested in flat cables and have some "double ended jack connectors" that only work with pedals of the same brand. Ideally I need a board like the pedal train but determined to keep my pedal and board related spending as low as possible! Any tips gratefully received!

I use self adhesive zip tie mounts on the underside of the board then reusable zip ties to hold the cables neat. 

The key is to be meticulous about every cable you run. Doing each one in turn is essential. Don' do them all then try and tidy them all in one go. 

Hope that helps

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elephantgrey said:

Never heard of any other power cables you can change the length of. Maybe a market for someone to bring out some kind of crimping based system?

Not cheap, but I did come across these guys recently:

https://www.3monkeyssolderless.com/collections/solderless/products/dc-solderless-pedalboard-kit

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

A similar but slightly different solution to @dannybuoy, I use self adhesive cable clips like these: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162515629911

I find them much less hassle than cable ties as you can just push/pull the cables into and out of them easily. They come in different sizes - the smallest size can grip  a couple of power cables at a time, the larger ones can hold more. Here’s a photo of the bottom of my old main board. All the clips except one are the smallest size, with one large clip which I put on to hold the actual barrel jack end of one of the cables, which it did perfectly:

72424536-D647-4FF7-860C-D926D5173429.thumb.jpeg.ccac32a5e583103dbc862670c69b92e7.jpeg

• Like 4

Use wire clips to hold the power wires in place.

Don’t use those double-ended connectors, most pedal enclosures have a slight angle to the sides and therefore the jacks... using those connectors can strain the jacks and also makes it more precarious to remove those pedals from your board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1