Why become a member? ×

How do you pronounce Epiphone?

BreadBin

4 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

I do remember some people pronouncing it as Epiphany, but not for years - back in the pre YouTube days and before it was a bye-word for cheap Gibsons, when people might only have read reviews and never heard it pronounced

I knew I wasn't mental! 

5 hours ago, FinnDave said:

This thread is a perfect example of why all of basses (except the aforementioned episodic T bird) are Fenders. I've never heard anyone mispronounce Fender as 'Fender' or FenDer or feeeender. Not once.

I used to think it was Seven Ender

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

You're a Stickleback....

Never made it as a wise man
I couldn't cut it as
A poor man stealing
Tired of living like a blind man
I'm sick of sight without
A sense of feeling
And this is how you remind me...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Come to think of it, why do we call it a bass a base?

For example: Seibass is pronounced 'Saybase'. I reckon it should be 'Seabass'.

Call me a stickleback, but it looks a bit fishy to me. o.O

I started what I thought would be a shit hot fishing forum about 15 years ago - why people insist on discussing bass guitars is beyond me - given up now.

17 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Come to think of it, why do we call it a bass a base?

For example: Seibass is pronounced 'Saybase'. I reckon it should be 'Seabass'.

Call me a stickleback, but it looks a bit fishy to me. o.O

Good point; in most other languages it's pronounced to rhyme with "crass" - basse in French, basso in Italian.

As for SeiBass...I always thought it was pronounced more like "sigh." Glad I never phoned (phanied?) a shop to ask if they had one!

53 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Good point; in most other languages it's pronounced to rhyme with "crass" - basse in French, basso in Italian.

As for SeiBass...I always thought it was pronounced more like "sigh." Glad I never phoned (phanied?) a shop to ask if they had one!

yes, a Portuguese friend pronounces it like the fish too

Edited by Monkey Steve

10 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

yes, a Portuguese friend pronounces it like the fish too

The ‘joy’ of the English language is that you can argue that Ghoti can be pronounced fish as well, the gh from rough, o from women and ti from superstition 

its a crap language really when you think about it :-)

• Haha 1

On 12/02/2018 at 08:54, T-Bay said:

That’s what I said - scone  If only some people would listen life would be so much easier (hears the stop it it’s getting silly from MP in his head)

Aaah, so you pronounce it “scoon” as in The Stone Of Scone”. Or should that be “The Stoon Of Scone”.

On 2/11/2018 at 20:26, BreadBin said:

Curious to know people's views on this..

I have always pronounced it to rhyme with tone but have heard some use the word epiphany. 

There is a small part of my brain that rhymes it with phoney as they are fake Gibsons, but that's just on the inside!

Pilopoop-pone....just kidding, some of their 6 strings are ok:D

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Someone once referred to a Sadowsky as a “Sa-Doff-ski” for the duration of a conversation and a “Wal” as “Vaaal”.

I didn’t correct him. Am I a good or bad person?

Hmm...one of my friends is called Lewandowski (like the footballer). The correct pronunciation in Polish is...Levandoffski. Assuming Roger Sadowski is of similar heritage, then it might well be that Sadoffski is more accurate? 

1 hour ago, ricksterphil said:

Hmm...one of my friends is called Lewandowski (like the footballer). The correct pronunciation in Polish is...Levandoffski. Assuming Roger Sadowski is of similar heritage, then it might well be that Sadoffski is more accurate? 

I've occasionally wondered about that. The standard pronounciation comes across as Americanised to my ears - you know, for people who can only pronounce words the way they're spelt. As in Joan Benoit for example. :)

9 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

Oh yeah - I’m in agreement, but it seems that on interviews/reviews/NAMM show videos, Roger and team pronounce it Sa-dow-ski.

maybe the original pronunciation is “doff”