Why become a member? ×

Ski Resort Band Residency

acidbass

Played at ski resorts in the past, in France, Switzerland and Bulgaria, and they were always well paid. Only in originals bands though, and I’ve never done a residency, just one or two nights at most. Never been tempted to try skiing either, waaaay too accident prone for that kind of caper. 

Hard to imagine doing a ski resort residency and not skiing. There is absolutely nothing to do in a ski resort during the day, other than skiing or related winter sports.

Nothing at all.

And the nearest town of any size is probably an hours scary drive away.

My limited experience of going to bar gigs in French ski resorts is that they will be very rowdy, and the venues will be small and crowded. Make sure your set list is crammed full of popular singalong hits. Not a place to bring out your favourite Yes album track.

3 hours ago, chrisba said:

Hard to imagine doing a ski resort residency and not skiing. There is absolutely nothing to do in a ski resort during the day, other than skiing or related winter sports.

Nothing at all.

I’d already broken both ankles playing football and skateboarding as a kid, and broke both wrists falling out of a tree as well. Broke my collarbone in a bike accident and had long term shoulder injuries too. I’m accident prone AF, I even broke my thumb at home a few weeks ago. I always thought skiing would just be tempting fate that bit too much. Especially when there’s still other gigs in the schedule and I needed the money from them.

But yes, apart from alcohol, pharmaceuticals and ogling ski milfs, it’s true there’s nothing at all to do at ski resorts during the day.

11 hours ago, meterman said:

But yes, apart from alcohol, pharmaceuticals and ogling ski milfs, it’s true there’s nothing at all to do at ski resorts during the day.

Make snowmen?

• Like 1

I've done 4 ski seasons and I suppose the main thing I learned is that it's amazing, but you need some stamina to get the most of it- it's an exhausting young person's game....at least doing the jobs and social things me and everyone else I knew was doing.

I've got no advice about being in a band there (nearest I got was a 1 night a week resident DJ) other than it's not really a place for playing anything high-brow, just well-known catchy party tunes. If I ever hear that f*king 'Mr Brightside' tune again it'll be too soon!

I see this is an old thread... a friend of mine's son plays in a resort in France, but he moved there... I've skied a lot and I've missed not being able to ski the last 2 years and I'm hoping net winter will be viable. I'm of an age where after a solid day's skiing, it's dinner, some wine, and then bed... 

Bars with live music tend to be popular with youngsters and can be busy. Often the base station has a big bar and terrace at eh foot of the home run and they tend to be much bigger places.

From talking to seasonaires in chalets etc it's an experience as I doubt you're going to be making money.

You'd want it to include a season lift pass, which in France are usually around €700.

If you drive over, winter/snow tyres or chains are mandatory.