Why become a member? ×

Ski Resort Band Residency

acidbass

Jokes aside, well done if you've landing the gig, acidbass. I've done a few residencies, not specifically in a ski resort, but the same principles will apply. Make sure you know what's included (accomodation, meals, drinks etc) and what storage/security is available for gear - if the venue is a bar and open all day, you don't want your stuff lying around unprotected. Check if it needs to be moved - if they have parties/other bands/ DJs etc., and if so, when. If equipment of any kind is being supplied by the venue, get a detailed list so you know exactly what you're going to be expected to work with. If it's dubious or incomplete, bring what you need, but be prepared for it to be knocked about or worse. Leave your expensive or treasured equipment at home - something usually comes to grief at some point. Also, do your sums regarding what you're being paid versus the actual prices onsite if you're going to have to cough up for anything, even occasional meals and drinks. Resorts are usually hideously expensive. Oh yeah, and have a great time!

Watch out for the "girl's vacation" groups some of who's members are on the prowl. Folks at resorts are there for a good time.  Play songs everyone knows.  Put out a tip jar.  Try and get a ski pass comped.  Get the crowd drinking and dancing and you're golden.

Agree with Yank for the most part. I did a winter in Meribel many moons ago. Good fun. You need to view it purely as an earner. Unless you're accomplished skier, I'd resist trying to blag a ski pass/use the facilities. If you fall and injure yourself and cannot play, it's work out of the window. Most punters will be plastered/semi-plastered and will want to sing along and dance to whatever is popular, so don't be precious about material. High art it ain't... As long as you keep them in the place and drinking plenty, the venue owner will be happy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I'm sure The Feeling used to do Ski Resort residencies before they hit it big. Unfortunately I have no contacts with them but do remember Jon Shuker has the Bassist's number...

They did - it was in La Tania in the 3 valleys. We have stayed there for years and are often in the bar they played at. I have a few friends who have played ski seasons, my only advise (as above) is look at the whole cost of the gig. Flights, accommodation, insurance, food and drink (especially drinks) - ski passes and ski hire (you will be skiing right?) - and cost of transporting gear. If you see it as a cost-neutral holiday rather than a paying gig - you won't go wrong. 

• 3 years later...

In fact, skiing is considered as a dangerous sport. So, closing the resort because of the "risky" activity is strange. If I were an administrator of the resort, I would probably try to check every dangerous places on the resort that can create an obstacle for skiers. Alternatively, just to divide the skiing tracks into the dangerous and safe ones. In that case, people would know the risk and would not sue anybody for the injury. Luckily for me, I prefer choosing resorts at bluehouseskis.com because there were no such cases on the resorts from their list. Because of their authority, you can trust them and ski without any fear.

Edited by BanKick

2 hours ago, BanKick said:

In fact, skiing is considered as a dangerous sport.

Not really an issue unless the OP's going to be skiing, which he hasn't mentioned. I know I wouldn't... I like mountaintops, and have never seen the sense in throwing myself off a perfectly good one :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not really an issue unless the OP's going to be skiing, which he hasn't mentioned. I know I wouldn't... I like mountaintops, and have never seen the sense in throwing myself off a perfectly good one :lol: 

I think you are confusing skiing with basejumping, skiing involves wearing appallingly awful clothing that even a kids TV presenter would refuse, whilst sliding into snow cannons at high speed on two fence slats, or even worse, the one planked brigade……..

(But joking aside, skiing is an awesome sport)