Why become a member? ×

Bruno Mars. Commercial slave.?

bubinga5

Im not a huge fan but I dig some of his stuff. The reason I say this, is his latest record, Finesse, is a total rip off of some classic 90's soul dance like Bobby Brown, Bel Biv Devoe,s Poison, etc. Im feeling a little let down by him and his direction towards blatant commercial rip off's. His record with Mark Ronson was a cheesy poppy nod to Cameo, Prince etc etc. It all feels a little cheap lately. 

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

I don't necessarily associate selling lots of records and keeping folk happy,  a job well done. 

No one becomes mega successful in the entertainment business by accident or without ability and talent.

You're doing that thing again. . . confusing what you like with what is good, or in this case a job well done.

He probably does not have to have a day job. He probably does have at least 2 weeks solid rehearsal before going out on tour. He probably stays in nice hotels on tour. His children will probably never NEED to work. All this and more from the most fickle industry of them all. He is doing ok. 

I'm a big admirer of his work to date

If you have checked out the videos of his early years - i mean 5 years old stuff you will see he was imitating Michael Jackson at home and later - early teens James Brown at shows, so was already learning where Michael got his mojo from. As an imitator he has soaked up everything that is great in musical entertainment. Then he found himself and has since delivered great tunes to the world. Yes he is giving people what they like and are familiar with. If he was to come up with a new form of Bebop for the 21st century or some weird techno pop - bleeps from outer space etc, we would all be saying he has lost it. I see him still evolving, he has moved from a solo pop artist appealing to young girls and now moved to become more african american mainstream  as part of a group of male singers "boy band"  if you like but its Black American mainstream young music that is current. If he was born earlier he would be in the Temptations or similar and thats what he is doing fulfilling his dream but in his time and Space

Give me more MR Mars

Oh I forgot Elvis

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 1

I think Bubinga has a valid point in as much as Mars's music is a pastiche of things that have been successful in the past

and seems to lack any original creativity, granted he is hugely popular which i'm sure his record label love but he is never going 

to be the next Marvin ,Curtis ,Smokey ,James Brown or the hip hop artist's he's parodying of late...

more Jimmy Osmond than James Brown i would say ,he even has the teeth  

• Like 2

There's humour in his stuff though isn't there? I couldn't understand the fuss about Uptown Funk, but then I watched the video and realised it's all just a joke and they're taking the fosters out of themselves.

Edit: I didn't type "fosters". If I do type fosters, will it come up as fosters?

Edit: No.

Edited by arthurhenry
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I've long thought Bruno was recycling other folks tunes. "Locked out of Heaven" had a distinct Sting vibe going on. Not a thing I have a problem with,as an old punk I'm hardly his target audience :) The lad's selling records and folk are happy,that's a job well done in my book.

Agree, and I was rather disappointed that the rest of the album that Locked is on didnt have the same vibe.

40 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Too late. . . he already is.

Time will tell if he will be regarded as having reached quite those dizzy heights. 

However, you can't dispute that that he is a top commercial act with genuine talent, who is very successful.  

I discovered the other day that I really like the Ting Tings, thus disqualifying me from having an opinion :dash1:

I think the danger of being any kind of musician is that it takes the fun out of listening to music. Who cares if the artist is "original", "authentic" (whatever that means) and so on? If you like it, great. If not there'll be another one along in a minute. Mr Mars is earning a living (probably a good one) in the music industry so good luck to him!

Edited by thepurpleblob

10 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Success + lack of talent = Spice Girls.

Amazing when you hear 80's and 90's pop groups who truly awful the vocals were. At least now people can sing in tune, largely, even if they are trying to copycat someone else.

Bruno is a commercial slave. So am I, I do an unfulfilling job so that I can pay my mortgage. I hate it but I'm good at it so I keep doing it. Will I cut my pay down to almost nothing to use my skills for the benefit of a charity? I hope to in future, but I need complete financial security first. I'm sure every now and then Bruno wants to bring out a new type of soul or something but nobody would buy it and it would ruin his commercial "credibility" so he sticks to the formula and keeps his career going.

Do I enjoy his music? It's ok. But I'm not his target audience. I agree he is talented, I agree he is ripping off the greats before him, just hope it introduces a new audience to "the gap band" etc. for their musical education.

16 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Amazing when you hear 80's and 90's pop groups who truly awful the vocals were. At least now people can sing in tune, largely, even if they are trying to copycat someone else.

Bruno is a commercial slave. So am I, I do an unfulfilling job so that I can pay my mortgage. I hate it but I'm good at it so I keep doing it. Will I cut my pay down to almost nothing to use my skills for the benefit of a charity? I hope to in future, but I need complete financial security first. I'm sure every now and then Bruno wants to bring out a new type of soul or something but nobody would buy it and it would ruin his commercial "credibility" so he sticks to the formula and keeps his career going.

Do I enjoy his music? It's ok. But I'm not his target audience. I agree he is talented, I agree he is ripping off the greats before him, just hope it introduces a new audience to "the gap band" etc. for their musical education.

You seem to be assuming that Bruno is a frustrated artist desperately looking to redefine the genre, just he can't until he has paid the mortgage off. There is also an assumption that he is capable of doing this. 

Of course, he may be perfectly happy following in the footsteps of his heroes whilst making shedloads of cash doing so! 

Bruno Mars could have been a star in any era.

You think Marvin Gaye wasn't trying his hardest to be Jackie Wilson and Nat King Cole? 

In the past you could get a few bum notes, but at least they were singing. Now so many are auto-tuned we have no idea if they can sing or not.

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Bruno Mars could have been a star in any era.

You think Marvin Gaye wasn't trying his hardest to be Jackie Wilson and Nat King Cole? 

In the past you could get a few bum notes, but at least they were singing. Now so many are auto-tuned we have no idea if they can sing or not.

Fair point. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, peteb said:

You seem to be assuming that Bruno is a frustrated artist desperately looking to redefine the genre, just he can't until he has paid the mortgage off. There is also an assumption that he is capable of doing this. 

Of course, he may be perfectly happy following in the footsteps of his heroes whilst making shedloads of cash doing so! 

I'm not necessarily assuming it, he could just be out there to do what he's told and coin in as much as possible. He could be a frustrated artist, or anything in between. Either way, I bought one of his albums and found the singles to be good and the rest a bit meh. But I won't get angry about it. Manufactured pop and the like has been around for decades, it's not changing any time soon. 

I've no particular beef with BM but he's just another product off the pop conveyor , although probably better than many . It is a bit of a shame that acts like him doing pastiches of swing, funk, Motown etc raking it in while those with some semblance of originality  are scraping a living together.  Unfortunately the same applies to every area of entertainment. Michael Macintyre, 50 Shades of Grey,  X Factor,  films about goblins  etc. Toot sells.

• Like 1