Why become a member? ×

What is it with headstock design?

Owen

Much as I love my GMRs, the headstock design is a bit weedy. (Mind you I have a tattoo based on it :-) But my pet hate - given that I prefer a 5 - is 5-string headstocks with four tuners on top and one on the bottom (like the standard Jazz 5). It makes it look as if the fifth string is an afterthought that hasn't been thought through properly. Should be either balanced (GMR) or all on one side (Jazz Plus 5, which uses much smaller tuners to fit all five on one side). Imho :-)

IMG_1876 copy.jpg

J+5-head.jpg

i personally cant stand over large headstocks, i think they should be functional but not excessive in size, i particularly like the xylem headstocks, one of the reasons i went for one.

there are a hell of a lot of basses i wouldn't consider due to headstock design although playability comes before aesthetics its important to find a balance.

custom-bass-yggdrasil-(6).jpg.cea214c00a9309860b89e672810573c9.jpg

On 2/13/2018 at 11:01, stingrayPete1977 said:

^ I've never seen a bass with so much fret left either side of the outer strings. 

i think it s a trick of the camera, angles and the binding making it look more that it is and all that, its not a profound as it looks, its super comfortable to play though.

amazing quality and unique bass

13 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Are they graphite string trees?

If so, any improvement in tuning stability?

Not sure, sorry. They look like it, and the Plus was overall a high-spec design. Stability is pretty good.

Edited by josie