Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Swift Lite 2 (sorry, another electric)

Andyjr1515

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

So that's how you discovered the lost chord... by t w a t t i n g a disillusioned yoof across the back of the nut wiv a dreadnought.  Inventive.

Oh man I laughed so hard at that, a worthy choice for quote of the week methinks!

• Like 2

On 11/03/2018 at 16:34, Andyjr1515 said:

Actually....nah - the MoP dots are too big, now I've looked at how they look on the guitar. 

So...hmmmm....smaller dots...swifts...    Who knows.  Only thing that's certain is that there's more workshop time coming up :D

Flights of swifts circling  around the barrel of the knob?

• Haha 1

On 11/03/2018 at 16:34, Andyjr1515 said:

Actually....nah - the MoP dots are too big, now I've looked at how they look on the guitar. 

So...hmmmm....smaller dots...swifts...    Who knows.  Only thing that's certain is that there's more workshop time coming up :D

How about a small dot of Luminlay, side dot size, slightly offset to act as an indicator?

5 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

How about a small dot of Luminlay, side dot size, slightly offset to act as an indicator?

Great minds think alike...

Although I've used standard MoP, this is what I remade last night:

hgFVPjGl.jpg

8p2k7O8l.jpg

I've also made some more to replace the brass knobs on my own build :)

• Like 3

On the home straight now - the finishing :D

I've spent a bit of time sanding out rough-sanding lines, smoothing curves and starting to get close to the finished neck profile (I'll finally finish that once it's all strung up and playable) and now started the slurry-filling and preparation for varnishing.

The figuring on this amboyna simply HAS to have full gloss, so I'm going to revert to Ronsealing the body and tru-oil slurry and buff for the neck.  But, I also slurry and wipe with tru-oil before applying the gloss - I find it shows up any missed sanding marks and also produces a wonderful grain-filled base for the gloss coat.

Got a bit more to do on the back, but the top is just drying fully before the first gloss coat:
NxPZgSLh.jpg

The back is almost there - just a touch of sanding work remaining around the control chamber.  I will also deepen the hatch rebate before the gloss goes on:
9LkkaCqh.jpg

Present weight - 3lbs 10oz

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

On the home straight now - the finishing :D

I've spent a bit of time sanding out rough-sanding lines, smoothing curves and starting to get close to the finished neck profile (I'll finally finish that once it's all strung up and playable) and now started the slurry-filling and preparation for varnishing.

The figuring on this amboyna simply HAS to have full gloss, so I'm going to revert to Ronsealing the body and tru-oil slurry and buff for the neck.  But, I also slurry and wipe with tru-oil before applying the gloss - I find it shows up any missed sanding marks and also produces a wonderful grain-filled base for the gloss coat.

Got a bit more to do on the back, but the top is just drying fully before the first gloss coat:
NxPZgSLh.jpg

The back is almost there - just a touch of sanding work remaining around the control chamber.  I will also deepen the hatch rebate before the gloss goes on:
9LkkaCqh.jpg

That oak has come out well.

Nice to see you have provided some nest material for mice in the upper cavity.  Will you supply a complimentary rodent or will your client have to furnish a breeding pair of their own?

I want to set you on a build with a hamster wheel built in.  On stage a suitably deaf hamster would inhabit the wheel and set the bpm for the band depending on how fast it turns its wheel.  Can I get a witness for when I file my patent please?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I want to set you on a build with a hamster wheel built in.  On stage a suitably deaf hamster would inhabit the wheel and set the bpm for the band depending on how fast it turns its wheel.  Can I get a witness for when I file my patent please?

They say the line between genius and madness is tiny - I think we know which side of the line this falls on..keep taking the pills while we prepare your padded room..:D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

They say the line between genius and madness is tiny - I think we know which side of the line this falls on..keep taking the pills while we prepare your padded room..:D

I can't help it if you do not see the uniqueness of my selling point.

After a couple of slurry-and-wipe sessions with Tru-oil, I've then given it three wipes with slightly thinned Ronseal Hardglaze applied, as usual, with a budget soft micro-fibre cloth.

Although the new formula Ronseal is a bit quirky and doesn't self level quite enough, this is probably the quickest I've got to an acceptable finish at 3 days total from sanded wood:

aZ9mqgXl.jpg
DtpNkO7l.jpg

After a week of letting it harden fully, I will polish it up properly with Meguiars Ultimate compound but this is perfectly tough enough for normal handling already so hopefully the build will be finished over the next 2-3 days :D

• Like 3

That looks lovely!!! I bet Jane is chomping at the bit to get her hands on it!!!.......

I tried using a microfibre cloth when I used thinned down hardglaze on my Jazz but it kept leaving streaks so I ended up using folded kitchen towel (which worked a lot better for me)......

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

That looks lovely!!! I bet Jane is chomping at the bit to get her hands on it!!!.......

I tried using a microfibre cloth when I used thinned down hardglaze on my Jazz but it kept leaving streaks so I ended up using folded kitchen towel (which worked a lot better for me)......

A kitchen towel is likely to shed fibres that will end up in your finish. Microfibre cloths don't shed fibres. I imagine that @Andyjr1515 is well practiced in avoiding streaks :D

Actually, with the new Ronseal formulation, miniscule streaks is a problem.  It really doesn't self level as it used to and as it ought to and yet it doesn't like being thinned either.  But, as Norris says, microfibre cloths don't shed anything.  

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

I must have been lucky as the kitchen towel didn’t disintegrate at all 

847638DD-8EB4-4C37-8FA7-035BDE6FCCBB.jpeg.d2f6d1151206f5f67c0121572e316551.jpeg

That stuff's more like one of @discreet's bum wipes before he went for bum-fodder that has better (greener) credentials.

I often thought there was non-degradable stuff in those tough 'paper' towels.  Polyester or summat.  I like the commercial though.  That geezer's costume would go down a bomb on stage.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

After a couple of slurry-and-wipe sessions with Tru-oil, I've then given it three wipes with slightly thinned Ronseal Hardglaze applied, as usual, with a budget soft micro-fibre cloth.

Although the new formula Ronseal is a bit quirky and doesn't self level quite enough, this is probably the quickest I've got to an acceptable finish at 3 days total from sanded wood:

aZ9mqgXl.jpg
DtpNkO7l.jpg

After a week of letting it harden fully, I will polish it up properly with Meguiars Ultimate compound but this is perfectly tough enough for normal handling already so hopefully the build will be finished over the next 2-3 days :D

Luvly.

Will you leave the cavity interior untreated?