Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Swift Lite 2 (sorry, another electric)

Andyjr1515

Next jobs are finalising the main carves

Basically:

• tweaking the outline a tad
  • finish off the top
  • doing the back
  • carving the neck

The outline tweak is to compensate for the fact that, in changing from the maple to the macassar, I added two more frets to 24th.  As such, I will deepen the cutouts a touch:
3fLfL28l.jpg

Lots of chippings and sawdust coming up!  :D

Well, the tweaked cut outs and top are almost done.  There might be a bit more to tweak once the back is done to get the feel and fret access just right, but this is getting close.

Those of you who have seen my other builds will know that I generally pop an early coat of tru-oil on - regardless of what I will eventually finish it with - to help show up the lumps and bumps:
NhiRZ1al.jpg
eobo8tol.jpg

I'm probably about half way through the neck and back carve.

As I've mentioned before, I finish the neck profile off once the guitar is finished and fully strung up - yes, I know.  I'm weird like that - but there's still a bit of bulk to take off to get to my preferred softish 'V' profile.

After just a few minutes with a spokeshave, most of the carve has been done using micro plane blades, just held in gloved hands like a scraper.  The towelling underneath is to stop any dints on the top - you can see it's been used for many times for past staining jobs.  Based on the fact that a number of my staining jobs are red ink, it has the unfortunate look of the results of a serious router/finger incident! 9_9

va1y0Jel.jpg

At this stage, I tend to do a lot of air-guitar playing  :D

I've got some more bulk to take out at the heel / body transition, but the thumb anchor points and 24th fret access feel fine so far.  You can see why I took impressions earlier of where the hidden weight relief chambers are!  Breaking through at this stage of the process would definitely spoil my day xD
776CTeIl.jpg

Total weight so far is spot on 4lbs - about 4oz lighter than my previous build.  Having a bash at making my own wood knobs - which will save 2-3oz over the brass ones I previously used, a final 5 1/2 lbs weight should be within reach :)

The back carve is pretty close to being done and the neck carve is also starting to get there.  I've also recessed the control chamber enough to be able to cut the hatch shape, although - depending on how deep the electrics are - either the recess still has to be deepened or the hatch itself thinned a couple of mm.
Joy3E6ml.jpg

The swifts are also fitted in the headstock plate...
gnwRqGcl.jpg

...and so, in terms of the front, probably the next job is fitting the bridge so that I can properly line up the pickup chambers before forstner roughing and then chiselling them out.

• Like 1

The pickup chambers need some care.  There will be less than 5mm thickness under the chamber so precise measurement and cutting is essential.

Many of you know that I hate routers and I hate using routers.  But for a flat-bottomed deep chamber, it's almost unavoidable.  So personally, I use the router for the least number of operations.

I start with defining the depth and corners with a drill:
MUB4IUpl.jpg

Then make a relatively shallow hog-out with a forstner bit:
dLAjxoPl.jpg

I then straighten the cuts around the outline with a sharp chisel down to the depth of the amboyna top.

And only then do I use a bearing router.  I use a very short one so I can safely tidy the sides of the existing shallow chamber before I start cutting the chamber bottom.  So again, I basically use the top as my template - I know that is not the usual way but all I can say is that it works for me and I've massively reduced pickup routing c**k ups since I started doing it like this :) 

Then, using the bearing trimmer against the tidied up chamber sides, I just deepen a couple of mm a time to the required depth.

And here we have the chambers with the sub-5mm thick bottoms:
gBMAN1Wl.jpg

And the inevitable mock-up.  I may well use black pickup rings on the finished article - but I happened to have these gold ones in the spares box so they will have to do for the mock up:

Kg6coEWl.jpg

As always, folks, thanks for looking and for the ever encouraging feedback.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Do you consider reinforcing the thin timber behind the pups with a stiff adhesive foil or even a thin gauge piece of stainless steel in case an impact on the back might split it?  Similarly with the control chamber?

Not really necessary IMHO - certainly, 5mm for the back of the pickups is plenty.  It's also quite rare for the back to hit anything that would be capable of doing that kind of damage.  No, the care taken was more to make use I didn't inadvertently break through with the router or drill - which with my measuring skills is a much higher risk! 9_9 

With the control chamber, there is a theoretical risk - and you do see from time to time guitars and basses that have fallen on their fronts and the knobs have punched a hole through into the control chamber.  But again, by and large, it's a fairly low risk. 

When you think about it, acoustic guitars have a side and back thickness of around 1.7mm and tops typically at 2.5 - 2.9mm and, certainly in my young days in the pubs of Wolverhampton, they used to survive being used as clubs to fight off angry skinheads fairly well.  Used to play havoc with the tuning, mind....

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Not really necessary IMHO - certainly, 5mm for the back of the pickups is plenty.  It's also quite rare for the back to hit anything that would be capable of doing that kind of damage.  No, the care taken was more to make use I didn't inadvertently break through with the router or drill - which with my measuring skills is a much higher risk! 9_9 

With the control chamber, there is a theoretical risk - and you do see from time to time guitars and basses that have fallen on their fronts and the knobs have punched a hole through into the control chamber.  But again, by and large, it's a fairly low risk. 

When you think about it, acoustic guitars have a side and back thickness of around 1.7mm and tops typically at 2.5 - 2.9mm...

When you put it like that, it assures me that you've got it sussed, as it were.

I am thinking back to when I recessed the knobs on my kit so that the nuts holding the pots were concealed beneath the base of each knob.  I felt this was necessary because of the curved body.  There was an untidy look to the exposed nuts.

I had thinned down the floor of the control chamber already and I then had to do little passes with a Dremel grindstone mounted from the inside so that the back of the grindstone did the work on the outside while the spindle was guided by the hole for the pot from the inside.  Although I got away with it, the sound of thin timber just from running a finger tip across the front of the control chamber made me feel uneasy about exposure to knocks and bumps.

I've been told that I worry too much before so thanks for sharing your experience.

15 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

...acoustic guitars have a side and back thickness of around 1.7mm and tops typically at 2.5 - 2.9mm and, certainly in my young days in the pubs of Wolverhampton, they used to survive being used as clubs to fight off angry skinheads fairly well.  Used to play havoc with the tuning, mind....

Ah Wolverhampton.  Highly regarded as a cultural oasis of the Midlands with it's pubs and clubs.

So that's how you discovered the lost chord... by t w a t t i n g a disillusioned yoof across the back of the nut wiv a dreadnought.  Inventive.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

I followed up @RichardH 's supplier leads from the previous build thread (Thonk is SUCH a great name for a company) and some of @Norris and other kind folks' suggestions and have made myself some knobs!

Got the inserts from Thonk and a cheapo diamond hole/plug cutter from ebay:

MTOKdZXl.jpg

Then, after a few trial runs to work out the best sequence, started with a 9.5mm hole in some scrap oak:

6OavL5Zl.jpg

Then used a Forstner for the nut relief in the bottom:

hYEME1ql.jpg

Then the plug cutter:

qCp3JNbl.jpg

And added the screw access hole before filing out the bore to a very slight interference push fit for the insert:

ITc1Flkl.jpg

Then took some macassar offcut and drilled a 6mm hole:

Ys4CMdil.jpg

Then plug-cut that:

1qHB91El.jpg

Then glued the two together, added a MoP dot, and rounded the sharp edges:

NLXHnJOl.jpg

Well pleased!  Thanks for the tips and encouragement, folks. :)

They are a fraction of the weight of the normal powder-coated brass ones I usually fit.  When I get a moment, I'll make some more and replace the three on my own build :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I followed up @RichardH 's supplier leads from the previous build thread (Thonk is SUCH a great name for a company) and some of @Norris and other kind folks' suggestions and have made myself some knobs!

Got the inserts from Thonk and a cheapo diamond hole/plug cutter from ebay:

MTOKdZXl.jpg

Then, after a few trial runs to work out the best sequence, started with a 9.5mm hole in some scrap oak:

6OavL5Zl.jpg

Then used a Forstner for the nut relief in the bottom:

hYEME1ql.jpg

Then the plug cutter:

qCp3JNbl.jpg

And added the screw access hole before filing out the bore to a very slight interference push fit for the insert:

ITc1Flkl.jpg

Then took some macassar offcut and drilled a 6mm hole:

Ys4CMdil.jpg

Then plug-cut that:

1qHB91El.jpg

Then glued the two together, added a MoP dot, and rounded the sharp edges:

NLXHnJOl.jpg

Well pleased!  Thanks for the tips and encouragement, folks. :)

They are a fraction of the weight of the normal powder-coated brass ones I usually fit.  When I get a moment, I'll make some more and replace the three on my own build :)

Very nice!!! TBH I’m not keen on the MoP inlay but each to their own :D

2 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Excellent! Glad to have played a tiny part in helping this come to fruition. Can't remember what sort of shaft your pots have - splined?

It looks like Andy's got inserts that will work on split, splined or flattened spindles.

10 minutes ago, RichardH said:

From memory the inserts are smooth inside rather than splined, so I assume they are of a diameter that accepts all shaft types.

I haven't bought the pots for this build yet so could use either.  For split splined shafts, I use the old trick of screwing the grub screw into the slot of the split shaft which I always personally reckon is more secure than on a solid shaft because, as well as the splines splaying firmly against the sides of the collet, the split also 'grabs' the grub screw itself which then rarely loosens  :)

58 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I thought you never take the easy option!!.....:biggrin:

Actually....nah - the MoP dots are too big, now I've looked at how they look on the guitar. 

So...hmmmm....smaller dots...swifts...    Who knows.  Only thing that's certain is that there's more workshop time coming up :D