Why become a member? ×

Conklin Sidewinder Session III 7-String

guyl

I bought this Conklin from ABC Music after reading about it in Bassist Magazine in Feb '98. It is the exact model reviewed.

[attachment=16070:Conklin_...ssist_98.pdf]

It is an awesome instrument. Don't let the 7 strings put you off: It is extremely playable and very well balanced. The body cutaway and silky smooth neck profile makes for easy access to every note. The tone is amazingly even across the entire range.

Sound-wise it is simply the best bass I have ever played. The variety of tones from the custom Bassline pickups and onboard preamp is superb. In the real world, it will punch though any mix. (or blends into the background if silky smooth is your thing!!)

There are a couple of very minor dings to the headstock. Not visable unless you are close up. Otherwise the bass is in great condition and comes with the custom Conklin case.

The good photos are taken by my friend at work. (The others are your's truly in the kitchen!) Even my friend (non-bass playing, non-musical, non-appreciative) described the bass as "beautiful"! Don't take her word for it though: You're welcome to see for yourself. I'm in Stockport, South Manchester.

Price: £1,250

[attachment=16073:Conklin1.jpg][attachment=16074:Conklin_2.jpg][attachment=16075:Conklin_5.jpg][atta
chment=16076:Conklin_8.jpg][attachment=16077:Conklin_9.jpg][attachment=16078:IMG_0723.JPG][attachment
=16079:Conklin_3.jpg][attachment=16080:Conklin_4.jpg][attachment=16081:IMG_0725.JPG][attachment=16082
:IMG_0740.JPG][attachment=16084:IMG_0745.JPG][attachment=16085:Conklin_6.jpg][attachment=16086:Conkli
n_7.jpg]

Ive got a groove tools 7 string and that low cost line sounds greats and it has great playability, so this costum version is even better in every aspect.
the one who buy this bass will be very pleased with how easy it is to play.
the neck is very confortable and the transtion to the 7 string is right on in the first note you play

This is a steal at £1250. To get a similar model from Conklin today will cost you the best part of $5000 and won't have such a nice top. I also have a Groove Tools 7 and the neck is incredibly comfortable despite the width. Anyone looking for a top notch ERB can't go wrong with this. I just wish I had the £1250 :)

+1 on the good comments on Conklin. I own and play a custom Conklin myself, it is truly a fantastic instrument even if it has uncommonly many strings. Surprisingly easy and comfortable to play, my favourite bass ever in fact! I wouldn't mind owining this one myself, but alas have to save up what little money I have for other purposes.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='331305' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:24 AM']Swap it for a Vigier? :brow:[/quote]
Please don't tempt me - GAS is bad enough as it is!

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='331395' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:08 PM']Can I come try it with no intention of ever buying it :)[/quote]
You're more than welcome Steve. Not sure I'll have a strap long enough for you though!!

[quote name='Paulo Silva' post='331424' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:47 PM']Ive got a groove tools 7 string and that low cost line sounds greats and it has great playability, so this costum version is even better in every aspect.
the one who buy this bass will be very pleased with how easy it is to play.
the neck is very confortable and the transtion to the 7 string is right on in the first note you play[/quote]

+1. I have a Groove Tools 7 string as well. Got to be the best 7 string for the money!

However, this 'proper' USA Conklin looks fantastic and it's unusual to have the 'melted' top. It is a real steal at this price, someone will get a bargain. Not me though as I have two 7's and the ACG 9 on the way :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='333926' date='Nov 21 2008, 03:49 PM']Oh god, I want this :) I would quite honestly save up for it, but it would take me two months, and I know it won't be around that long :huh:[/quote]

Heh, having both of us owned the Conklin Bill Dickens 7 Signature models, I know where you are coming from! I bet it's a nice instrument!

I think its a comfort thing - the Conklin is what I learnt my 7 string trade on, so its where I'm most comfortable. Not that I'm not happy with my Shuker, but this would make a superb addition to the family!

I'm going to try and find a beneficiary to lend me £900 so I can snap it up xD

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='333958' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:28 PM']I think its a comfort thing - the Conklin is what I learnt my 7 string trade on, so its where I'm most comfortable. Not that I'm not happy with my Shuker, but this would make a superb addition to the family!

I'm going to try and find a beneficiary to lend me £900 so I can snap it up xD[/quote]

Dare we asked how you raised the money? No bank robberies reported that I've noticed.

I've bypassed the banks and gone straight to the bank of dad, haha! Paying back over the course of two months. Meaning that my next two months at work is not paying for food or transport or clothes or... anything except this bass ;D

Can't wait though. Will sit very pretty next to my Shuker :)