Why become a member? ×

Irrational fear of the skunk stripe?

Horrorhiker

1 hour ago, White Cloud said:

Its very common on instruments that feature laminations of different species of hardwoods, especially in the make of the neck to end up with this phenomenon. 

Over time, yes. But on a brand new bass?

My Warwick (4-piece Ovangkol neck) developed noticeable lines between the pieces of the neck. I had it sanded slightly and re-oiled, and it's been fine since (4 years ago). But that's a bass from 2003 that's ageing. Not a brand new Fender :)

• Like 1

Having worked in wood-working factories, I would say the reason for undulations in the skunk-stripe is because wood, when cut thin is prone to twist and bend. Fender are in the business of making instruments as cheap as they can to hit a competitive price. They won't be wanting to ditch the slats that have been cut for the neck infills, just because they're twisted. It's very unlikely the twisting has happened after it has been fitted into the neck.

This is at least the 2nd thread we've seen here on BC about dips and lumps in the skunk-stripe, so maybe Fender have made some changes in the acceptability levels in their QA checking at the factory.

If it was mine, I'd either refuse it on delivery, or take some fine-grade glasspaper to it and sand it flat. Then finish it off with a few coats of lacquer. It is, after all's said a budget bass. So you get what you pay for. If you like the bass in every other respect, fix it and move on. 

12 minutes ago, Grangur said:

Having worked in wood-working factories, I would say the reason for undulations in the skunk-stripe is because wood, when cut thin is prone to twist and bend. Fender are in the business of making instruments as cheap as they can to hit a competitive price. They won't be wanting to ditch the slats that have been cut for the neck infills, just because they're twisted. It's very unlikely the twisting has happened after it has been fitted into the neck.

This is at least the 2nd thread we've seen here on BC about dips and lumps in the skunk-stripe, so maybe Fender have made some changes in the acceptability levels in their QA checking at the factory.

If it was mine, I'd either refuse it on delivery, or take some fine-grade glasspaper to it and sand it flat. Then finish it off with a few coats of lacquer. It is, after all's said a budget bass. So you get what you pay for. If you like the bass in every other respect, fix it and move on. 

I took the first back and obviously didnt buy the 2nd. The guy selling the 2nd one thought I was crackers, though I thought there was evidence that his had been fixed to some extent before. he wasnt too impressed with my pointing out of that. Its psycological as much as anything as the feeling was very subtle, but I just can't imagine playing with any sort of crack in the neck. Body dings and scapes, I actually like (if they are genuine and not silly 'shabby chic' ageing). No offense road wear lovers. 😉

35 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

I took the first back and obviously didnt buy the 2nd. The guy selling the 2nd one thought I was crackers, though I thought there was evidence that his had been fixed to some extent before. he wasnt too impressed with my pointing out of that. Its psycological as much as anything as the feeling was very subtle, but I just can't imagine playing with any sort of crack in the neck. Body dings and scapes, I actually like (if they are genuine and not silly 'shabby chic' ageing). No offense road wear lovers. 😉

Completely understandable. There is a beauty to a piece where 2 pieces of wood come together and the finish is smooth and there is no gap etc. If there are lumps and bumps and gaps, this is not the same. If you're actually going for a rustic feel, then you might get a Wishbass, but that's different.  With the style of a Fender you're not normally buying into this kind of feel.

1 minute ago, Grangur said:

Completely understandable. There is a beauty to a piece where 2 pieces of wood come together and the finish is smooth and there is no gap etc. If there are lumps and bumps and gaps, this is not the same. If you're actually going for a rustic feel, then you might get a Wishbass, but that's different.  With the style of a Fender you're not normally buying into this kind of feel.

Yes thats it. Layered wood (if thats the right term) can look amazing and implies quality (to me) so I can see how the skunk stripe could fit into that bracket. I'm looking at getting an American Pro, if I can justify the cost to myself. Graphite reinforcement and no stripe. Or may keep an eye out for a US standard on here. I've considered other makes, particuarly Lakland but I really feel that if I don't get a keeper of a real Fender P at some point in my life, I'll never be satisfied. Its all John Deacon's fault. 

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Over time, yes. But on a brand new bass?

My Warwick (4-piece Ovangkol neck) developed noticeable lines between the pieces of the neck. I had it sanded slightly and re-oiled, and it's been fine since (4 years ago). But that's a bass from 2003 that's ageing. Not a brand new Fender :)

As has been said elsewhere I think the problem is that Fender are factory mass producing huge quantities of instruments - QC will always be a bit hit and miss with fit and finish from bass to bass.

I always have the mindset that a Fender bass is a bit like a Kalashnikov AK47, in that the fundamental design is rock solid and build is simple, low cost, reliable, up-gradable and effective. I'm still of the opinion that if you want a really, REALLY good Fender...then you need to buy something other than a Fender.

Apologies for the crappy Kalashnikov analogy...it just came to mind!

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

@Horrorhiker I have had a few problems like this but they were all on early mex examples. I don’t think it’s quite the problem that it used to be

Cheers, the first I tried was new (so the shop claimed though Im sceptical, and the 2nd was 2003 ish. Makes sense that it would be early ones and I imagine they use minimal laquer in Mexico too. 

@Horrorhiker

No Mexican since about 2007 or so has been really good. The earlier ones were a bit ropey as well as inconsistent in quality 

ive tried 97, 99, 03 And 09

my pet theory about the skunk stripe is that they didn’t season the dark wood well and it moved a bit once assembled but that could be rubbish 

like the others said - just sand it flat if it bothers you. I used it to help put my thumb in the right spot

I have a well-used 1980 Tokai Springy Sound Strat copy with skunk stripe and no issues from brand new, but I also have that Epiphone prototype Explorer bass I was given in 1983, which has a skunk stripe that is sticking up well proud for the whole length of the (bolt-on) neck. There isn't much finish left on the back of the neck anyway but I have never had stability issues with it and the skunk stripe has been sticking out like that for at least ten years.

Mind you it has been my main bass since 1983 and has lived a very hard working life. Still love it. I wouldnt worry about it.