Why become a member? ×

Quincy - Oh dear!

SteveK

I think it's  possible his judgement is  impaired by illness but I also think it's possible he just doesn't  care , he's done it all , nothing to prove and slightly unaware of how stuff circulates in this digital age and I found it quite refreshing hearing someone talking that openly not  to mention some of the best anecdotes I've ever heard . I say fairplay Quincy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, spencer.b said:

I think it's  possible his judgement is  impaired by illness but I also think it's possible he just doesn't  care , he's done it all , nothing to prove and slightly unaware of how stuff circulates in this digital age and I found it quite refreshing hearing someone talking that openly not  to mention some of the best anecdotes I've ever heard . I say fairplay Quincy

I must say, I agree, very funny interview (The full Vulture version). The Ringo story is a corker. :D

Edited by lowdown

4 hours ago, Cato said:

I don't think he's grumpy, I think he's probably quite seriously ill.

3 hours ago, spencer.b said:

I think it's  possible his judgement is  impaired by illness...

That could possibly explain it. 

Edited by SteveK

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

That could possibly explain it. 

It's not so much the stories of his experience with various artists that makes me think he may be losing it, but his story about dating Ivanka Trump  and his claims about the Kennedy assassination seem a bit far fetched.

I know that his comments on the Beatles and Michael Jackson are going to upset some fans, but he has his point of view. You have to admit that both this and the GQ interviews were pretty badass and that he is possibley the most indiscreet man on the planet. 

I found the 'Ghetto Gump' (his words) stuff fascinating and some of the more outlandish claims might seem unbelievable, but are have already been collaborated (by Richard Pryor's widow etc). 

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Late 70s wasn’t Ringo at the height of his drinking? Nobody’s form is completely consistent even if the industry is a lot more sanitised these days. 

Perhaps so, but I think the track referred to by QJ was recorded and released in 1970.

Regarding references made about Richard Pryor , Marlon Brando etc in the interview, there was a great quote from Richard Pryor's

ex-wife Jennifer Lee Pryor about the time -

"It was the seventies. Drugs were still good, especially Quaaludes. If you did enough cocaine, you'd f*ck a radiator

and send it flowers in the morning"

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wombatboter said:

And does anyone really hear anything of "State of Independance" in "Billy Jean" ? 

The opening bars are the Bass line notes., although slower in 'Billie Jean'

Then there are these elements (below) from a post elsewhere. But certainly, I wouldn't call it a Rip-Off, maybe influenced ?

"The plucky synth riff (panned to the left) is exactly the same as the Billie Jean riff, expect the first note in Billie Jean is up the octave. The riff in Billie Jean is slower too. There's enough difference in the songs that it's definitely not worthy of calling the whole song a rip though".

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

Afraid he's a has-been trying desperately to stay in the limelight.

Is he though ? I have not seen him advertised doing gigs at Butlins Soul Weekends. :D

He seems to always be popping up on US television shows, gala appearances, well just about anything. So still a regarded personality, plus the internet/social media is littered with this story.

Over at 'Discogs', he has fifteen pages of credits with albums and film scores/cues still being released and re released. Also, It was only eighteen months ago that there was a BBC Proms concert of his material and achievements at a sold out Albert Hall.

Depending on what review you read, his net worth over the last two/three years is quite substantial. (although it seems to vary from between $300 and $450 million).

Oh Well, Quincy. To you Just another day in the business of show...:biggrin:

Edited by lowdown

He's hardly a has been - at nearly 85 he is still as busy and successful as ever. 

Its hard to believe everything he says, but then again some of his rather outlandish claims seem to check out and it is difficult to argue about musical worth with someone of his pedigree. 

I think he has a big mouth and just doesn't care what people think! Not always an admirable quality but entertaining nether the less. 

• Like 1