Why become a member? ×

Quincy - Oh dear!

SteveK

54 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

OK successful pop band but still only a pop band. Did they cure cancer,bring about world peace ? No they wrote some pop songs.

In the spirit of esprit de corps I shall refrain from posting my immediate thoughts on reading your post. Must be a coincidence that the BBC game show hosted by  Alexander Armstrong was on as I read it.

Edited by SteveK

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

In the spirit of esprit de corps I shall refrain from posting my immediate thoughts on reading your post. Must be a coincidence that the BBC game show hosted by  Alexander Armstrong was on as I read it.

Wouldn't hold back on my account, though I warn you I'm not the slightest bit interested in what you watch on the telly.

On 13 February 2018 at 19:14, EssentialTension said:

In the UK and in the USA, but you had to be there, obviously.

And, featuring Ritchie Blackmore on guitar and Chas Hodges on electric bass guitar, here's Joe Meek's production from 1962 of The Chaps also known as The Outlaws ...

I also love the time machine nature of The Chaps/Outlaws picture - as well as the youthful Du Beke, Blackmore, Hodges etc on the wall behind them appears to be a picture of Chas Hodges 50 yrs on........I didn't realise until I played the You Tube. 

Broken record on not (and what a find and witticism that is 😂) you and Blue are right - you had to be there!!

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

I also love the time machine nature of The Chaps/Outlaws picture - as well as the youthful Du Beke, Blackmore, Hodges etc on the wall behind them appears to be a picture of Chas Hodges 50 yrs on........I didn't realise until I played the You Tube. 

Broken record on not (and what a find and witticism that is 😂) you and Blue are right - you had to be there!!

I don’t actually think you had to be there ... it was a joke.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

... it was a joke.

Mine too but on reflection the picture may be closer to the Birds Eye fish finger cap'n. 

But those who were there will definitely get the hysteria of 1964 ish in a way others won't 😉👍 - as with any other world changing event. 

I was there too and the world was immensely changed and immensely changing but you don’t need to have been there to understand that. It’s quite possible to grasp the enormity of the changes and something of The Beatles role if it’s approached with an open mind - it has very little to do with what one personally likes. There are people who were there who didn’t or don’t get it; being there is neither necessary nor sufficent.

They did many things but The Beatles didn’t invent the electric bass guitar.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

They did many things but The Beatles didn’t invent the electric bass guitar.

No they did not. 

My point is, I didn't know what an electric bass guitar was until their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show February 9, 1964. It was after that performance I decided to play bass and my Mom purchased a bass guitar for me.

Blue

5 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

I was there too and the world was immensely changed and immensely changing but you don’t need to have been there to understand that. It’s quite possible to grasp the enormity of the changes and something of The Beatles role if it’s approached with an open mind.

I'll never budge on this one, and to honest you not only had to be there, you had to be a certain age and from a culturally and socially aware environment.

I have a brother only 2 years younger than me and he knows very little about The Beatles. I was socially aware he wasn't.

And one thing I've learned from this forum is, by size alone The Beatles were bigger in the States than in the UK.

Blue

7 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Absolutely right - I suspect even now many non musicians don't know that McCartney played bass guitar in the Beatles. 

Agreed, and there are Millinials that can"t say "John ,Paul, George & Ringo"  without thinking incredibly hard.

Pretty much like I can't name one Ed Sheeran song.

Blue

Was it this interview or somewhere else where Jones completely writes off Rap and Hip-Hop?

I’m not a fan of the genre/s at all, however, it seems somewhat juvenile to ‘bin’ a whole genre because you don’t think it shows enough deference to the artists in your own record collection 

23 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Was it this interview or somewhere else where Jones completely writes off Rap and Hip-Hop?

I’m not a fan of the genre/s at all, however, it seems somewhat juvenile to ‘bin’ a whole genre because you don’t think it shows enough deference to the artists in your own record collection 

That's interesting, because he flirted quite a bit with those styles on two of his albums, "Q's Jook Joint" & "Back On The Block". Both good albums (IMO of course).