Why become a member? ×

Quincy - Oh dear!

SteveK

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm completely down on QJ right now. He picked on the wrong guys.

I'm maintaing my position on principal. In my world you don't rip on The Beatles.

Blue

I agree with u totally. Lnn & Mctny were an amazing writing duo..incredible, but Ringo a drummer?...not when you put him up against the pool QJ had to choose from.

It must really boil Jones’s bladder contents that other well known drummers have a lot of respect for Ringo’s drumming...and barely reference his beloved jazz technicians.

Mike Portnoy, he has Starr in his top 4 influences.

Jones comes across as someone who views music primarily as a technical endeavour. He portrays himself as a jazz cliche, in that all other music or musicians have no value. 

Anyway, anyone who lends any weight to astrology simply has forfeited any claim to have a valid opinion 

Edited by Marvin

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Yes, exactly what the entertainent industry needs is more people who keep quiet and don’t have an opinion on anything. That’s entertainment.

The saddest part of this is the reaction of so many who are outraged by one man speaking his mind. Remember when having an opinion and talking about it was a regular thing? What an utter shambles the world has become where speaking openly and without fear draws the ire of those who’d rather live in a bubble with the precious fallacy they’ve cultivated around their sacred cows. Let the man speak. If you don’t like it, tough. Learn not to get offended by opinions other than your own. There’s a lot he said which was a little uncofortable to read but I’m guessing he got to where he is by being a straight-talker and not someone scared to upset a Beatle or two. Consider that maybe they tried harder and did better because of his directness. Being a producer is a lot more than just “Well done, boys, you’ve just recorded your first number one!”

Jones exercised his freedom to speak, and then others have exercised their freedom to speak. No-one died. Then you exercised your freedom to speak. I can't see what the problem is ... unless you are outraged and offended by people speaking their minds

8 hours ago, oldbass said:

I agree with u totally. Lnn & Mctny were an amazing writing duo..incredible, but Ringo a drummer?...not when you put him up against the pool QJ had to choose from.

I doubt any of Quincys drummers had what it took to be a Beatle. It involved a lot more than drums.

Blue

7 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

Jones exercised his freedom to speak, and then others have exercised their freedom to speak. No-one died. Then you exercised your freedom to speak. I can't see what the problem is ... unless you are outraged and offended by people speaking their minds

I'm offended by people saying silly things that make no sense.

When did anyone ever think The Beatles were fantastic Musicians?

Blue

Just read the condensed interview. An interesting read. It comes across as somewhat elitist. And that's understandable given his talent and experience. But I get the feeling that his talent and musical experience mixed with other issues has given rise to some rather blunt remarks amongst the mostly erudite. His lack of grace is disappointing.

1 hour ago, grandad said:

. . . . His lack of grace is disappointing.

This.

You're on your way out when you start bad mouthing people you work with and for. Why hire QJ and have him spout his subjective and negative comments and crap all over your project right afterwards.

@Bluewine the Beatles aren't untouchable. Nobody is. One could argue it's the failures in technique in a band that make for the magic and personality of it. Well, sometimes.

Sadly, people do think the Beatles are the greatest musicians ever. Otherwise Paul wouldn't regularly top "best bass player" lists. On a technical level he's nowhere near it. I'm not talking about songwriting as that's different, I'm talking about just chops. He doesn't have the ability of Stanley Clarke, Jaco or any of those pedestal type players. Even within the rock medium he's nowhere near the top.

Quincy might have been blunt, but I'm sure that Paul won't care and also won't be wondering about his reputation has been tarnished as a major producer has insinuated he isn't that great at his instrument. He's probably having a wry laugh at it. Take Quincy's interview as what it is - an old man deciding to let rip a bit in the twilight of his life. Some of it's amusing, but I bet the stuff he'll not discuss in an interview would be much more interesting.

I'm not getting into the Beatles or Ringo argument, but if QJ hired Ringo to play drums then he should have understood more about Ringo's strengths and weaknesses. You hire a "Ringo Starr" because you want Ringo Starr. You don't want him playing like Steve Gadd, Ed Greene or even Ronnie Verrell, so if Ringo wasn't doing what QJ wanted on the track QJ should have hired the right guy in the first place. IMO that's a Quincy Jones fail.

If you watch the Steely Dan film about the recording of Aja you'll see the cream of US session players being "dumped" because Walter and Donald thought they didn't suite the track.

Edited by chris_b

8 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Readinng the article again, I see that Jones described McCartney as 'the worst bass player I ever heard'.

This certainly can't be true as there's a section in Quincy's Gula Matari (which I otherwise love) where the bass is absolutely miles out, and McCartney's not even on it. Look a bit closer to home Mr.J. ;-)

52 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Jones didn't hire Starkey to play drums.

Starkey hired Jones as arranger for the song 'Love is a Many Splendoured Thing' on Starkey's first solo album Sentimental Journey.

Then I think QJ is even more of an derrière. It's QJ's job to spend the time and make the effort get the best out of Ringo, not replace him because he wan't technically correct.