Why become a member? ×

Quincy - Oh dear!

SteveK

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Is he though ? I have not seen him advertised doing gigs at Butlins Soul Weekends. :D

He seems to always be popping up on US television shows, gala appearances, well just about anything. So still a regarded personality, plus the internet/social media is littered with this story.

Over at 'Discogs', he has fifteen pages of credits with albums and film scores/cues still being released and re released. Also, It was only eighteen months ago that there was a BBC Proms concert of his material and achievements at a sold out Albert Hall.

Depending on what review you read, his net worth over the last two/three years is quite substantial. (although it seems to vary from between $300 and $450 million).

True, but it's all behind him. Donald Trump is worth a shedload of cash, but that doesn't say a lot about his qualities...

22 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

True, but it's all behind him. 

The dude is 84 and claims to have ten movies, six albums, four Broadway shows and a number of other projects on the horizon! Hardly someone who’s no longer relevant and has it ‘all behind him’.

The thing is that he has had a pop at a few sacred cows (Macca, Jackson, Prince et al), which has upset a few people when their heroes are being dissed by someone of his undoubted pedigree. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, oldbass said:

Interesting and totally understandable. He spent his life working with top tier pros who could read a chart in a second and who could play anything. Would hate to have been Ringo when he realised. Refreshing in this era of PC strangulation.

I say completely un-understandable. Everyone knows the Beatles were not seasoned pro jazz studio musicians. Most ignorant comment of 2018.

Way to go Q.

Blue

What a refreshing interview. Finally, somebody with something to say. In the age of absolutely sterile personality vacuums scared/coached not to say anything even remotely comntroversial, that was an interview worth reading.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

What a refreshing interview. Finally, somebody with something to say. In the age of absolutely sterile personality vacuums scared/coached not to say anything even remotely comntroversial, that was an interview worth reading.

No actually we have another guy over here that also blurts out controversial statements that don't make any sense.

Blue

I agree that it is nice for someone to just let rip and say what they want in an interview, without some press agent or handler stepping in and stopping comments from being printed etc. 

He is a big hitter in his industry, has a vast fortune, he’s 85 and he doesn’t give a damn about whether his opinions offend anyone, and I can’t help but admire his Candour. He has probably seen and been exposed to a lot of things behind closed doors, and I would bet he knows a lot of secrets that aren’t his to tell the world.

I think some individuals are getting a little too upset just because he says a few mean things about people they hold in high esteem. It’s only opinion, he’s not forcing you to believe the same against your will, just take the interview as a piece of entertainment, at the end of the day that’s basically what QJ is.

I agree and disagree with a few things he says, but it’s sill funny and refreshing to me.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I say completely un-understandable. Everyone knows the Beatles were not seasoned pro jazz studio musicians. Most ignorant comment of 2018.

Way to go Q.

Blue

Plse re-read Lemmywinks quote. Ringo comes back probably feeling postive and happy after a break and thinking I can do it only to be shot to pieces by QJ. That was my comment..   Ignorant?..Nope.

1 hour ago, oldbass said:

Plse re-read Lemmywinks quote. Ringo comes back probably feeling postive and happy after a break and thinking I can do it only to be shot to pieces by QJ. That was my comment..   Ignorant?..Nope.

I'm completely down on QJ right now. He picked on the wrong guys.

I'm maintaing my position on principal. In my world you don't rip on The Beatles.

Blue

Just now, lemmywinks said:

The funniest thing about the interview is watching all the Beatles die-hards blow their nut over his comments. At the grand old age of 84 Quincy Jones may have just become the best internet troll of our generation, he can add that to his CV. Ghetto Gump indeed!

I'm one of those die hards, maybe the biggest die hard.

I did not appreciate Qs comments.

Blue

He is certainly entitled to his opinions, as he may be right on some things, and overblown on others. On McCartney I would severely disagree with Q. I disagree with what his mental state as some have said here. I do think he has hit the grumpy old curmudgeon stage, however.

Eddie Van Halen  was quoted saying that "Robert Fripp (King Crimson) couldn't play 12 bars of good guitar music ." 

Mr. Fripp, when approached by the press, was asked what he thought about Eddie's comment. He politely said "I do not comment or make remarks about other artists."  That's class. Learn, Quincy.

Edited by fretlessguy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, exactly what the entertainent industry needs is more people who keep quiet and don’t have an opinion on anything. That’s entertainment.

The saddest part of this is the reaction of so many who are outraged by one man speaking his mind. Remember when having an opinion and talking about it was a regular thing? What an utter shambles the world has become where speaking openly and without fear draws the ire of those who’d rather live in a bubble with the precious fallacy they’ve cultivated around their sacred cows. Let the man speak. If you don’t like it, tough. Learn not to get offended by opinions other than your own. There’s a lot he said which was a little uncofortable to read but I’m guessing he got to where he is by being a straight-talker and not someone scared to upset a Beatle or two. Consider that maybe they tried harder and did better because of his directness. Being a producer is a lot more than just “Well done, boys, you’ve just recorded your first number one!”

• Like 7
  • Haha 1