Why become a member? ×

Possible dodgy Ricenbacker sale on ebay.

prowla

This condition of payment, the no returns policy, and the disclaimer about it being left in a garage seems to suggest that the seller might know about an expensive issue like a twisty neck. I'd explicitly ask if he's aware of any faults and insist on checking it out in person, then pay by paypal if thats what he wants only if it is OK.

Yep.

It's advertised as superficially scruffy, which is fine and what I wanted (and there's the switch toggle missing), but it's precisely the potential structural issues I need to cover off before I hand over a grand!

The seller says it's at his parents and messaged me:

I have to insist on payment before collection Paul, I'm sorry but considering I can't be there to meet you and by winning the auction you have entered into an agreement to pay. If you decide you don't want it we can go through the returns rocedure.

To which I replied:

Sorry, but that is not the case.

It was advertised as cash on pickup and that is the agreement I entered into.

I am prepared to do PayPal for your convenience, once I inspect it. I am happy to liaise by phone to confirm payment if that would suit, or hand over cash.

The description states that it has been stored in adverse conditions and I need to confirm it is structurally intact before I part with my money, when I collect.

The attempt to quote the "agreement" to me has got my hackles up, so I think I am now very trepidacious!

The seller seems to be inviting you to scam him! Paypal payment and collect only, you pay via Paypal, you send someone to collect the bass, a few minutes after it is collected message him to say you can't make it today and will pick it up in a couple of days.....he says "it's already been collected"....you say "not by me it wasn't"......you open a case with Ebay who always seem to side with the buyer, you get your money back and a free Rickenbacker....sadly it's a well known Ebay scam, I will never accept Paypal on a collection only item.

I am not suggesting for a moment you scam him but he is laying himself wide open to it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Paying by PayPal gives you as much protection as paying with a credit card. PayPal always favours the buyer in disputes. 

Exactly this. As well as eBay's buyer protection you are more than covered. You have nothing to worry about other than potentially a wasted journey

5 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

The seller seems to be inviting you to scam him! Paypal payment and collect only, you pay via Paypal, you send someone to collect the bass, a few minutes after it is collected message him to say you can't make it today and will pick it up in a couple of days.....he says "it's already been collected"....you say "not by me it wasn't"......you open a case with Ebay who always seem to side with the buyer, you get your money back and a free Rickenbacker....sadly it's a well known Ebay scam, I will never accept Paypal on a collection only item.

I am not suggesting for a moment you scam him but he is laying himself wide open to it

That's the first thing I thought, very risky thing to do on a high value item.

Listing and sellers comms both suggest dodgy bass to me. I wouldn’t want it, and low price suggests others felt the same? 

I wouldn’t be so sure about PayPal either. These days they side with the person who is most persistent and/or who appears to have the better evidence, not necessarily the buyer or the person in the right. 

12 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Listing and sellers comms both suggest dodgy bass to me. I wouldn’t want it, and low price suggests others felt the same? 

I wouldn’t be so sure about PayPal either. These days they side with the person who is most persistent and/or who appears to have the better evidence, not necessarily the buyer or the person in the right. 

Yes - I was wondering if the vague comment that it needs some attention would be a get-out.

(I preemptively contacted ebay to cover off bailing-out on the deal.)