Why become a member? ×

We're off - 1x15 DIY

fleabag

It does sound like a problem with the voice coil I'm afraid, speakers can be fitted with new coils and cones but it can be a substantial proportion of the cost of a new driver.  Wembley speakers http://wembleyloudspeaker.com/ or Blue Aran do this sort of repair.

Before you give up on this have a look to see if anything is loose on the speaker or if there are any tears in the cone itself, they could be repaired at home. Also look at the flexible wires that connect the speaker terminals to the cones/coil. I've had problems with them coming away in old Fanes. 

Yes pushing a speaker cone with a cup or a pint mug is safer as it spreads the load, be gentle.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

The push test should be done with even pressure by the way.  There is no value in doing the points of the compass.

12 minutes ago, stevie said:

Exactly. The idea is to simulate the back and forward movement of the cone. As Spondon says, you need to apply even pressure to the cone to make it move in and out at a perfect right angle. The voice coil behind the cone is moving in a very narrow gap, and will scrape against metal if you apply uneven pressure - even on a good driver. I think Phil Starr once suggested using a cup to carry out this test.

Thanks chaps - will have another go using the cup method. 

I did a bit of googling too, and someone mentioned that a possibility was torquing the driver mount bolts in an ueven fashion, slightly warping the basket.

Any ideas on that ?

16 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

It does sound like a problem with the voice coil I'm afraid, speakers can be fitted with new coils and cones but it can be a substantial proportion of the cost of a new driver.  Wembley speakers http://wembleyloudspeaker.com/ or Blue Aran do this sort of repair.

Before you give up on this have a look to see if anything is loose on the speaker or if there are any tears in the cone itself, they could be repaired at home. Also look at the flexible wires that connect the speaker terminals to the cones/coil. I've had problems with them coming away in old Fanes. 

Yes pushing a speaker cone with a cup or a pint mug is safer as it spreads the load, be gentle.

I'll whip the driver out next and check those.

I know a new driver from BA  is about £118 , but for a repair, when you factor in postage each way for a 17 LB + driver , then repairs, i cannot see this as being economical

Edited by fleabag

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Thanks chaps - will have another go using the cup method. 

I did a bit of googling too, and someone mentioned that a possibility was torquing the driver mount bolts in an ueven fashion, slightly warping the basket.

Any ideas on that ?

It's no harm to undo the fasteners and redo them in the order of ; 1, 5, 3, 7, 4, 8, 6 and 2.

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Any ideas on that ?

A definite possibility, particularly with a pressed steel chassis like yours. Which is why you should try the driver outside the cabinet.

Right chaps - did the cup method,  couldn't hear much, maybe a slight whoosh, but nothing like the scraping heard before.

Took the driver out,  checked for obvious splits / damage / damage to thin coil wires,  and all ok.

Tried the cup method  again and .... silence

??

Bingo - tried it outside cab first

No scratchy, no  crackly.  What is all that about then ?   I can only think that the basket was slightly twisted due to uneven torquing of retaining bolts.

But whatever it was, its gone.   Cab sounds very clean, with a hint of warm, even  down to big flappy E on a EUB. No farty, no boomy.  Its probably a 50 Lb + cab, but i can live with that. 

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

Cheers  HRH  :)

Yep,  bottom end is where i roll. And so does this cab.  It doesnt buzz or vibrate, and with the crackle gone,  we have a winner  !

Buy yourself a pint and i'll send Speckled Jim over with a £5 note