Why become a member? ×

We're off - 1x15 DIY

fleabag

Word of advice for anyone  buying Tuff Cab..

I bought a 5kg tin ( although to be fair, it was the smallest size in the colour i wanted ) and i have rollered about 3 coats on 4 sides of the cab right now

and this barely made an impact on the amount of Tuff Cab left in the tin. It looks like i havent used any

2.5kg would easily have been more than enough. In fact, i could do 4 cabs the size of the one i'm building with a 2.5kg tin

55 minutes ago, stevie said:

I used 1/2 kg of Tuff Cab on the Basschat 12 cab, which is obviously a lot smaller than this. Unfortunately, you can only get the 1kg size in black. So what colour did you choose?

Turbo Blue  :)  

8 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Tuff Cab is a no-brainer for most of us. I've a roll of vinyl covering unused and I'm wondering if I'll ever go back to it now. It's so easy to use, economical as you have found, and it is genuinely tough. More so than vinyl.

It goes on lovely. I changed the type of roller i used after one panel. Richard reckoned the micro fibre / polyester rollers ( mini 4" ) gave a better finish, and he was right. First panel was done with a sponge roller, and it leaves the finish a bit like sandpaper

6 minutes ago, stevie said:

I put two coats on with the fine roller and finished with one coat with the sponge roller. I was pleased with the way it turned out, although it took a while because I hadn't used it before. I prefer the slightly rougher finish.

I def. prefer the smoother finish after i had the chance to check both.

Well. it's the differences that make the comparison interesting, different approaches to a similar goal, though obviously some priorities are different. We could try them side by side, same bass, same amp, so only the cabs make a difference to the sound.