Why become a member? ×

We're off - 1x15 DIY

fleabag

Yes, well that takes care of the theory but doesn't really explain what to do. The principle is to add as much damping material as you can to reduce standing waves and flutter echoes without reducing the output from the ports (too much). It's a bit of a balancing act, but with the right measuring equipment you can see exactly what effect the damping is having on the system and choose the optimum amount of internal damping.  That's how I arrived at the damping layout for the Basschat 12 cab. If you over-damp, you'll reduce port output; if you under-damp, you'll have a lot of ringing going on inside the box.

As a rule of thumb, you should line all the walls but keep the area around the ports clear.

Sorted and fitted. Despite the camera angle making it look like the wadding is touching the ports, it isn't. There's plenty of room around them

Both handles now fitted, and at the mo,  trying to sort the batten for the grill.  Waiting on edge strips right now

cab build23.jpg

cab build24.jpg

It would be slower if i had a workshed or something. I'm fed up with the mess and clutter , tools, wadding , sawdust, tins of stuff cluttering up my flat hallway. So i'm going at a fair chat to get it done, without rushing. Tricky :)

10 hours ago, fleabag said:

It would be slower if i had a workshed or something. I'm fed up with the mess and clutter , tools, wadding , sawdust, tins of stuff cluttering up my flat hallway. So i'm going at a fair chat to get it done, without rushing. Tricky :)

I get that.

Having the luxury of space in which to spread out I can say with certainty that it is too easy to let things go slack and end up with several jobs running concurrently.  Often it would be best to finish a job before starting a new one.  It's okay to have a couple of things going when curing times are involved as the wait can be used to progress the other jobs.  If you get it right, you have the basis of a profitable occupation.

In the seventies Toyota shared its JIT (Just in Time)  production method, also known as TPS  (Toyota Production System) with its competitors and the world in general.  This proved that lots of warehouse space is not necessary in large scale manufacturing if you get your chain of supply to deliver to tight deadlines.  This removes the delays between production of sub-assembly parts and the final assembly of those parts into the end product.

Less storage costs, shorter lead times, repeat orders as a result of delivering on time every time - everyone wins.  Many large companies around the world adopted JIT and it is a well established principle in manufacturing today.

People often produce their best results under difficult circumstances, in this case, the need to live in the space where you want to do the work.

Admirable.

• Like 1

Grill batten tuff cabbed, and grill cut to size and resting on the baffle. Waiting for edge strips, grill needs spraying too

Note beggar all space to work in.  You can't see it but i'm standing in my bathroom to take photos. 

cab build26.jpg

cab build27.jpg

Edited by fleabag

When I made my last cab, the grille was the most awkward item to procure. A custom-made metal grille was going to cost me nearly £30. I ended up buying a wrecked Ashdown cab just for the grille. Where did that one come from? It looks good.

Do you really need the edge strips? I can't help thinking it might make the cab look a bit amateur, whereas now it looks like a real pro job. Just a thought.

Edited by stevie

That grill was on my Peavey BVX 115. The cab i couldn't give away 

I also nicked the handles, speakons, ( not OEM on that Peavey ) and originally the only wadding i had was from that cab too, till i fitted more

I've seen how quickly little dents appear on the edges, so i'm going to fit them, Not really bothered if it looks like a man in a hallway built it - cos one did :)