Why become a member? ×

We're off - 1x15 DIY

fleabag

I wasn't going to post a cab build, for a couple of reasons. Never done one before, so envisaged a right mess, with me accidently glueing myself to the carpet or something.  And also, its been done many times by others, and bass guitar builds are much more interesting and require more talent.

But ...  i 've had some terrific help,  and really its a kind of big thank you.  Stevie and others set me on the path, but i was still panicking about how to go about it.

I did a forum search for past builds and picked on one poor  chap, messaged him, and waited for a reply.  This BC'er was one Richard H. It panned out a week or so into the build that we knew each from a bass bash at  Reading.

Anyways  - after i failed to find ply in 15mm anywhere near me, ( 15mm is apparently an unusual size ) and  when i did find a source, which was a hell of long way away, they wouldn't deliver one board. Also, i had to build this in my flat, as i've no garage, no decent  power saws to cut accurately. And it was obvious i couldn't fit an 8ft x 4ft board in my home and be able to walk round it.

Enter Richard H.  ( not in the biblical sense ).  RH sourced the poplar ply in the 15mm i wanted, measured it out using the plans found by Stevie  for the Fane Sovereign LF 600 watter, cut the panels, and delivered it to me. Remembering that he had to adjust all the sizes as well, because the plans were for 18mm board. A huge result already and we hadn't started yet. Its still  not finished  ... but here we go

1)  First  butt joint - yeehar ( yes i'm having to build it in my hallway  )

2)  Not enough hands or places to work comfortably, and having to use my camera tripod to help support the panel

More later

cab build1.jpg

cab build2.jpg

Edited by fleabag

This is what the plans look  like. I had a Peavey BVX which had the Fane driver in, but the cab is the size of a st. bernard's kennel, and built with 21mm ply. ...94lbs and the dimensions of a family size tent. I tried to sell it - not a peep. Pulled the driver out and tried to give the cab away - not a peep.  So the decision was made to make a smaller, lighter cab.

Fane plans.jpg

Edited by fleabag

Cheers Stevie - i can only blame you for starting this :)

You may have remembered the Beymas  you and the others talked about , Phil etc, and bought 4 and fitted them to a pair of ex Peavey 210 cabs, but

i didnt build those from scratch, so this really is my first. Watch this space and see me accidently build it upside down

Don't know why you say guitar builds are more interesting. I like to look at the finished instrument but the rest is way too fiddly. Now, cab builds I can sit up all night reading and studying the pictures. This looks great. Love the domestic workshop and can't wait to see more progress.

6 hours ago, fleabag said:

I say guitar builds , yes -  building a bass from scratch has to be admired. Just look at the stunning axes some the of builders here come up with

And i'm building a box :)

Admired yes, absolutely. But I just love a cab build. Maybe it's something to do with my aspirations. I have no illusions that I might be capable of making a playable instrument, however a cab is within my skill set. Possibly. Can't really explain it but I love the whole thing about a cab build.