Why become a member? ×

The great unanswered question

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I've variously used separate pedals and changed to multi fx for previous bands, but never mixed the two - ie when I used the Boss GT-6B or Zoom B3 I didn't add any separate pedals,  however for my current band I'm using my VT bass which I prefer to anything similar in the B3 but I also need a compressor and a boost pedal. I don't own a separate boost pedal so I'm replacing the stand-alone compressor with my zoom B3.

Its always struck me as odd that the input & output sockets an pedals are on the right & left sides respectively so chaining pedals means the signal goes right to left, however on the B3 the FX go left to right, so putting the B3 with the VT bass means the signal flow is not represented in an obvous way when looking down at the two pedals. Obviously this is not a massive issue, but it does seem a bit weird.

So why do pedals have the input and output on the opposite sides to where they should be, and if it is the standard for pedals to feed the signal from right to left, why do multifx units chain their separate fx in the opposite direction?